Finding the Right Math Book for Me: What is Mathematics?

• Thread starter Moose352
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation revolved around the individual's search for a math book that covers fundamental concepts and challenges them to think in a mathematical way. They mentioned being deficient in geometry and number theory and expressed interest in books on those topics. They also mentioned "What is mathematics" by Courant and asked for recommendations on specific subjects in math, with "Intro. to Calculus" by James Stewart and "Problem Solving" by Larson being suggested.
Moose352
I'm not entirely sure what book I want, even what subject it would be considered as...which is why I'm here. My mathematical knowledge is dismal. I want some kind of book that will cover the very fundamentals rigorously. I don't want a high school textbook which will just bs its way around, but something that will be challenging and force me to think in mathematical ways. I'm seriously deficient in geometry and number theory, so I'm kind of leaning in that area. I've looked at the table of contents of the book "What is mathematics" by courant, and I like what I see. Is this a good book to get?

Physics news on Phys.org
mm are you looking for a specific subject in math? logic, analysis, diffQ, algebra, problem solving?
"Intro. to Calculus" James stewart is a CDN recommended textbook
"Problem Solving" by larson is good if you wann learn to prove stuff

It sounds like you have a clear idea of what you want in a math book and the areas you want to focus on. "What is Mathematics" by Courant is a classic book that covers a wide range of mathematical topics and is known for its rigorous approach. It would be a great choice for someone looking to strengthen their fundamentals and challenge themselves in geometry and number theory.

However, I would also suggest considering a few other options before making a decision. "The Art of Problem Solving" by Richard Rusczyk is a highly recommended book for those looking to develop problem-solving skills and think critically about mathematics. "A Mathematician's Lament" by Paul Lockhart is another popular choice, focusing on the beauty and creativity of mathematics rather than just rote memorization.

Ultimately, the best math book for you will depend on your individual learning style and goals. I would recommend researching and possibly even previewing a few different options before committing to one. Good luck in your search for the perfect math book!

What is the importance of finding the right math book?

Finding the right math book is important because it can greatly impact your understanding and progress in the subject. A well-written and suitable math book can make learning easier and more enjoyable, while a poorly suited book can hinder your understanding and lead to frustration.

What criteria should I consider when looking for a math book?

Some important criteria to consider when choosing a math book are the level of difficulty, the clarity of explanations and examples, the organization and structure of the content, and the relevance to your specific needs and goals.

How can I determine the level of difficulty of a math book?

The level of difficulty of a math book can be determined by looking at the target audience or grade level, the topics covered, and the complexity of the problems and concepts presented. It is also helpful to read reviews or ask for recommendations from teachers or other students.

What resources can I use to help me find the right math book?

There are many resources available to help you find the right math book, such as online reviews and recommendations, educational websites, and bookstores. You can also ask for recommendations from teachers, classmates, or other experts in the field.

How can I make sure the math book is suitable for my specific needs?

To ensure that the math book is suitable for your specific needs, you can preview the book by reading sample chapters or looking at the table of contents. You can also check if the book covers the topics and concepts you need to learn and if it aligns with your learning style and goals.