Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of car do you drive?

1. Mar 11, 2007 #1
    And do you like it? After getting into a car accident on Fri. my '01 Galant is totaled and I am in the market for new car. I definitely don't want a brand new car, but something that is used. I was looking into possibly getting a Volvo S40 or S60. So what kind of cars do you guys drive and would you recommend it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2
    98' honda accord.

Its way underpowered as a 4 cylinder.

But it has never broken down on me. The transmission keeps going bad but honda changes it for free because its been recalled. I only get charged the labor.

It drives very well, but I would not recomend buying the same year as I have. A later year would be better.

If I had my choice, I would look into a used 3-series BMW.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  4. Mar 11, 2007 #3
    I drive a my Ford F150 or my Saturn for the winter months, just because they handle the weather/salt very well. I have several vintage cars I use in the summer. And one older Lincoln I use if I half to do a lot of inner city x-way driving.
    You should test drive many cars, befor you decide to buy. And of course we know all about high pressure sales people, so its best to take someone with you, that will be honest with you.
    I would avoid new model years, and plan on haveing/owning it for at least 3 years. Imports keep there value better, but may cost more to fix down the road.
    My taste in cars is domestic, and fast. Plus all my cars use regular gas, which has saved me some money.
    Of course you'll half to keep us updated on your selection prosses. Have fun! And Glad to know you wern't hurt in the accident.

5. Mar 11, 2007 #4
    2006 Honda Civic Hybrid

I love it and would only prefer the Prius if it weren't so ugly.

6. Mar 11, 2007 #5

LOL this was actually my 2nd car accident in less than 1 week. The other time I was in a taxi cab and it stalled out on 676 in Philly (which is a super highway) with no where to pull off the road. People were whizzing by us at 80 mph, it only took about 2 minutes before the cab got rear ended. I walked away from that accident too with just a minor concussion. I am like Bruce Willis from that movie Unbreakable. 2 car accidents+2 totaled cars+me walking away with some scrapes=priceless.

I am definitely taking my dad with me to buy a new car. He is always very slick with the sales people and always seems to get a few grand knocked off the price of the car before buying it. I was hoping to buy a car off an individual so I wouldn't have to deal with a salesman. I will keep everyone updated on my car selection. I need to buy one asap so I don't miss too many days of work, so this shouldn't take long.

7. Mar 11, 2007 #6
    Find someone who can take you to a dealers auction. You will buy the car for the best price.

8. Mar 11, 2007 #7

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a '04 Toyota Matrix. If you want something with a little more cargo space, but still gets 30+ mpg highway, it's a good car.

We also have a '91 Honda Civic; still going and passing DEQ emissions standards after 260,000+ miles.

9. Mar 11, 2007 #8
    I drive a jeep liberty and I absolutely love it. I used to have an olds 2dr alero which was a beautiful car, great power and great on gas (unlike the jeep haha)

10. Mar 12, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I currently have a new Subaru Impreza, which I love, but you compromise some mileage for the AWD. I need the AWD for winter on the mountains here.

Before that, I had a 2001 Ford Focus. Underpowered if you wanted to go uphill with the A/C on, but great mileage, and incredibly dent resistant (with your track record, that might be a plus). It was still running great when I got rid of it, and I thought it was an excellent city car. If it weren't for the bad handling on snowy mountains, I'd have had no reason to get rid of it. It ought to be a good buy on the used market, since a lot of people buy them as a cheap first car and then upgrade. However, like Cyrus recommends on his car, I'd recommend one a few years later than mine...I got it when it was still a fairly new model, and more recent model years have worked out more of the issues that were recalls on my year.

A good question is what is your use. Since you mention Philly, is that primarily where you'll be driving it? If so, something like the Focus is excellent for those conditions...small, easy to find parking spaces to fit it, good mileage even in city conditions, good dent resistance so you won't look all dented and dinged from parking in lots, and doesn't stand out as a big target for theft or break-ins, also doesn't stand out as overly flashy to attract cops. You'd have no need for something like the Impreza in those conditions, so it's not worth the extra expense or loss in mileage.

Hondas, as others have mentioned, are also good for those types of driving conditions. I think they're more of a theft target in the Philly area though, but I could be wrong.

11. Mar 12, 2007 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I drive a '94 Ford Probe GT. I find it a very nice commuter and a joy to drive. It does well on the freeway, but the manual transmission would get to be a pain on crowed city streets.

12. Mar 12, 2007 #11
    The Honda Civic is one of the most popular theft targets out there. I think they are usually the number one most stolen car each year, or somewhere near there anyway. The F350 is the truck that is stolen the most (in my area anyway) not that you really need to worry about that anyway....just a random bit of info :tongue:

It would be helpful to know your budget........

13. Mar 12, 2007 #12
    I could probably swing about $12-13K. Like I said, I don't want anything new.

I will be driving it mostly around the Philly area. Not to much in the city (I live in the burbs of Philly). Hondas are nice, I have had one before with no problems, but I do worry about the fact that they are stolen a lot. I have read consumer reports and they definitely like the Focus for its reliability.

14. Mar 12, 2007 #13
    I know a few people with diesel VW Jettas and they sure do like them. Very nice cars and a 1000km to the tank!

I have not personally driven a Subaru legacy but it looks like quite a nice vehicle, and a lot of people sure do seem to like them.

Do you prefer domestic or imports or do you really care?

I need to find out how much 12-13K is in CDN dollars so I can be a bit more helpful here :redface:

15. Mar 12, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'll want to avoid diesel in the US. It has gotten pretty expensive now, and a lot harder to find stations that sell it if you get away from the ones right at exits on interstates (the stations that cater to tractor trailer drivers).

16. Mar 12, 2007 #15

:rofl: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Omg this is funny...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. Mar 12, 2007 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Our last four cars have been Toyotas. Total miles...~700,000 so far. We should get another 100K each on the two that we have. I think Tsu had another Toyota before we met.

Currently we also have an old '68 Chevy pick-up, with a 396 [huah!], as a farm/utility truck. It only sees about fifty miles a year though. The coolest cars that I have ever owned were a 240Z, and an MG Midget. Had some fast bikes too.

18. Mar 12, 2007 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Although, depending on the location, one might consider biodiesel as an option.
    Fueling location map

19. Mar 12, 2007 #18
    That was HILARIOUS!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  20. Mar 12, 2007 #19
    Your right Moonbear I always forget that in the city getting diesel can be a bit of a hassle. Maybe avoid the diesel.

21. Mar 12, 2007 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I bought an '05 Jeep Wrangler about 3 weeks ago. It's the Unlimited Rubicon version with Dana 44 axles, both front and back lockers, a 4.10:1 gear ratio, and 4.0 L 6-cylinder engine.

It has a soft top, so I can't wait for warm weather (literally, if it's sunny and pretty close to 60 .... then it must be sunny and at least 40 in the mountains, eh .... well, I've at least had the top off in the city a couple days).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?