What kind of car do you drive?

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
oh and the reason new cars cost more, is they are the only cars whose history is completely known. that is worth the price alone.

of course they drop in value as soon as drive off the lot because then the next owner no longer knows how well you kept the car. so keep records.

mainly, change the oil every 3,000 miles. so what if some study says it isnt needed? are you trying to save $20?

its cheap and it works, and its your money ($20,000) if you need another new one sooner than planned.

as the old saying goes: oil changes are lots cheaper than engine rebuilds.

also keep a record of all maintenance as done and as will be needed in future and when.

i.e.

brakes- every so many miles (30,000? 60,000?)

timing belts- every 90,000?

clutches, 60,000?

tires, 50,000?

belts check them regularly,

change water pumps when changing timing belts i think they say.

and dont freak out when one of these things needs replacing, thats part of owning a car. so anticipate it. even valves, rings, engines can be rebuilt, but most people want a new car at that time. but only novices think a car is worn out when it needs a clutch or brakes, or a CV joint.

and always carry a cell phone in the car for when the idiot hits you in a Ford truck and you need to call for help. If you dont have one and cannot call the police, take down not just his license and insurance policy number, but the description of his vehicle, license number , color, make model, and of him, so you can make a case if he decides to deny hitting you the next day, like my guy did.

Not being able to prove he hit me cost me $13,000 for another (used) car. It looked good even when my mechanic checked it out, but later it turned out to have a damaged wheel that could have cost my wife's life by causing the tire to fail.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
One more thing: ask around before your warranty runs out for a good reliable mechanic, and go to him/her for regular services. Thats why my honda lasted 325,000 miles.

and be very wary of going to the dealer for help. i have sent my wife to our dealer for an oil change and had them sell her literally $800 worth of unnecessarys tuff.

Last edited:
J77
Had a corsa in England -- it was standing off the road for a few years when I moved over to Holland -- sold it for a few hundred the other week.

Definitely don't need a car where I live now -- bikes rule the road -- plus a parking permit requires a 6 year wait in my neighbourhood.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Holland is a wonderful place in that regard. I recall the bike lanes off the side of every road in Leiden.

J77
Holland is a wonderful place in that regard. I recall the bike lanes off the side of every road in Leiden.
Yeah -- the flatness is perfect for bikes. Plus, it really is the only way to get around in the old towns. I love being able to cycle to work, through a major international city, without having to constantly dodge traffic -- every capital should be like that. Plus, I'm much fitter now I've ditched the car :smile:

I drive a Kia Rio. It is my third Kia. I had a Sportage 4x4 for 6 years never had a major problem with it. Bought my wife a Sorento a couple of years ago, it still rides like a luxury car (my neighbor calls it "The Limo").

I calculated driving costs and first costs for my Rio and it beat the Prius for my driving conditions in value (gas would have to cost $8.00 a gallon to come close to overall cost of ownership for 10 years). Very happy so far, but it does seem somewhat underpowered. The Sporatage and Sorento are not at all underpowered.

Kia has a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on all their cars. Definitely worth a look. I love mine.