What kind of damage will 800lb neodymium magnets do to electronics?

In summary, 800lb neodymium magnets are incredibly strong with a maximum magnetic field of 3 Tesla, making them 10 times stronger than a typical fridge magnet. They can damage any electronic device with magnetic components, such as hard drives, credit cards, and pacemakers. These magnets can also erase data on electronic devices and should be kept at least 2-3 feet away to avoid any disruption. To protect electronic devices, they can be stored in a shielded case or with a magnetic shielding material.
Qaiphyx
I know this doesn't pertain so much to engineering but I figured you guys would know best. If you set the magnet next to a cell phone or TV, what kind of damage would be expected?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Many bad things would happen. Why do you ask?

berkeman said:
Many bad things would happen. Why do you ask?

Cause I don't want to make a mistake haha.

Oh yes my 800lb neodymium magnet goes GREAT with my living room theme. :p

1. How strong are 800lb neodymium magnets?

800lb neodymium magnets are incredibly strong, with a maximum magnetic field of about 3 Tesla. This makes them about 10 times stronger than a typical refrigerator magnet.

2. What kinds of electronics are most likely to be damaged by 800lb neodymium magnets?

Any electronic device that contains magnetic components, such as hard drives, credit cards, or pacemakers, is at risk of being damaged by 800lb neodymium magnets. This is because the strong magnetic field can disrupt the delicate magnetic fields inside these devices.

3. Can 800lb neodymium magnets erase data on electronic devices?

Yes, 800lb neodymium magnets have the potential to erase data on electronic devices that store information magnetically, such as hard drives. This is why it's important to keep these magnets away from such devices.

4. How far away should electronic devices be kept from 800lb neodymium magnets?

As a general rule, electronic devices should be kept at least 2-3 feet away from 800lb neodymium magnets to ensure they are not affected by the magnetic field. However, the exact distance can vary depending on the strength of the magnet and the sensitivity of the device.

5. Is there any way to protect electronic devices from the damage caused by 800lb neodymium magnets?

Yes, there are certain precautions that can be taken to protect electronic devices from 800lb neodymium magnets. This includes storing devices in a shielded case or using a magnetic shielding material, such as mu-metal, to block the magnetic field.