Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of drugs are legal in your countries?

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1
    None of the drugs are legal here, malaysia.
    Is cannabis , marijuana, heorin etc legal in US?

I read that Britney spears took drugs too.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2
    no.

I know they were trying to legalize marijuana.

4. Sep 25, 2004 #3
    I'll leave the country if they do.

5. Sep 25, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the US, there are State drug laws as well as Federal Laws. Sometimes, as in the case of California - where medical marijuana is legal - you have interesting conflicts, such as :

6. Sep 25, 2004 #5
    About marijuana :
    That would be a little more honest, considering they could not prevent the market. They failed in forbidening consumption. De facto one part the people is consumming it, and it looks (at least to me) hopeless to forbid that.

Would it not be a little more efficient to control the production and the consumption by taxing it, and maybe easier to know who takes what amount, and who needs help.... ? Alcohol is legual, and is very dangerous too. Alcohol is the other extreme : let it sold, just restrict to people old enough to be responsible if they destroy their life. They should find a balance, by trying to tell people "You can use those toxic product if you want, sometimes, and we have to control this because it is really dangerous for you" and thus for instance sell it the way some restricted medicines are sold. Both for alcohol and marijuana.

7. Sep 25, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eventually, I believe, marijuana will be legalized and regulated. In my opinion, it's just a matter of time.

8. Sep 25, 2004 #7
    Do you think it should be legalized?

yes, I know that's a loaded question =)

9. Sep 25, 2004 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Recently, a law was passed in Norway that almost criminalized the enjoyment of nicotine..:yuck:

10. Sep 25, 2004 #9
    here in Canada, weed is decriminalized, or is it, i know it was in the process, but thats it, everything else is illegal

11. Sep 25, 2004 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since it's loaded, I may as well shoot : Yes, I do.

It's easy to jump to conclusions on the basis of this response, but I'm not going to go into a lengthy explanation of my reasoning. Perhaps a new thread titled "should marijuana be legalized ?" will elicit discussion.

So arildno, it's okay if you don't "enjoy" the nicotine ?? :confused:

12. Sep 25, 2004 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's okay if I don't sit indoors at a restaurant/bar while I smoke..(I hate those ******-allergics with their pansy-ideas about what makes a good indoor climate!!)

13. Sep 25, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hoooah ! Um, by the way, that kind of law has been passed in New York, California and a few other states, if I'm not mistaken.

I think there are places where it is reasonable to have such a regulation, and places where it's not.

Do you complain that smoking in not allowed in movie theaters ?

14. Sep 25, 2004 #13
    I think you have a point about nicotine on one side, that just like prefume can be worn in public, and can be smelled -- for better or worse -- nicotine should be able to as well.. right?

BUT what about the fact that its PROVEN that second hand smoke is as dangerous if not WORSE than smoking a cig.

Kill yourself, but don't kill others. :(

15. Sep 25, 2004 #14

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

smoking cigarettes in public places is illegal in my state too...you say "kill yourself, but don't kill others", well, that is why we have DUI laws...don't let your choices affect others, i completely agree.

16. Sep 26, 2004 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Maybe I'm just a wee bit emotional about this issue; but then no one of you live in Alaska, so you don't know what winter is..:cry:

17. Sep 26, 2004 #16
    in malaysia, posseing 15 grams of cocaine, heroin etc. can bring you mandatory death penalty --- hanged until death!

18. Sep 27, 2004 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! I guess doing drugs is really bad for your health there! Are those quantities considered possession or is the penalty so high because they are considered to be dealers to have that quantity?

Also just wondering...does it actually prevent people from doing drugs there? Or does it just make them more careful to not get caught?

19. Sep 27, 2004 #18
    we have executed hundreds of drugtraffickers since 1960s.
    we also killed foreigner like Australians who brought drugs into our country.

20. Sep 27, 2004 #19

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, of course... a person's life is certainly not worth more than fifteen grams of substances that most people use to simply to overcome unfortunate, crippling congenital reward-deficit disorders. Saint, you almost list those execution statistics like you're proud of them.

- Warren

21. Sep 27, 2004 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is true !! It was announced by a stewardess on a flight I took that required a transit at Kuala Lumpur. My neighbour nearly jumped out of his seat (seatbelt, and all) ! :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?