What Kind of Elitist Are You?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
JamesU
Gold Member
http://images.quizilla.com/T/thebecca/1089623156
Your CD collection is almost as big as your ego,and you can most likely play an instrument or three. You're a real hit at parties, but you're SO above karaoke. What people love: You're instant entertainment. Unless you play the oboe.
What people hate: Your tendency to sing louder than the radio and compare everything to a freaking song.
What Kind of Elitist Are You?
I think it was wrong

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm a food and wine snob.
You know which wines go best with which foods, and you can make New York City's finest sommalier feel like a kid at a keg party. You wanna take that Emeril guy and beat him with a stick, but really - you've got more class than that.
What people love: You know the best restaurants and what their specialties are.
What people hate: Every waiter in town wants to mangle your pretentious ass.
I think a few of my answers could have swung the vote to something else...like the one on what you do when you visit a new city...I thought, "Depends on if I'm hungry yet." I do the whole visiting museums and admiring architecture thing during the day, and seek out great restaurants for dinner.

So, how's that pinot grigio working for you? :rofl: I got a laugh at how that one was phrased.

rachmaninoff
You're instant entertainment. Unless you play the oboe.
Just like some vapid illiterate party boob to take a random and senseless jab at oboists. Does he or she (the quiz author) know anything at all about the oboe repertoire? No? Then it's a funny joke, let's write it down. :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator:
rachmaninoff
I'm very sorry if I've been grumpy all evening, I haven't had enough coffee yet. I should make some, I guess.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
rachmaninoff said:
I'm very sorry if I've been grumpy all evening, I haven't had enough coffee yet. I should make some, I guess.
Ivan always has a pot on, just hold out your mug and he'll pour some in for you. :biggrin:

Evo
Mentor
rachmaninoff said:
Just like some vapid illiterate party boob to take a random and senseless jab at oboists. Does he or she (the quiz author) know anything at all about the oboe repertoire? No? Then it's a funny joke, let's write it down. :grumpy:
Oh dear, I wasn't aware you belonged to FOO (friends of oboists).

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm a politics and culture guru :smile:

From Timbuktu to Tijuana, you know all about world culture and politics. You've seen it all, and what you haven't seen, you watched on one of the "smart people channels." Your friends tell you that you should run for governor.
What people love: You've always got a great story to tell.
What people hate: You make them feel like ignorant plebians. Sometimes you slip and CALL them plebians.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
They have the same grammatical structure but there's a difference in content. In the first and last sentences, the two clauses are both characteristics of "you". In the other sentences, the first clause refers to a characteristic and the second clause refers to an outcome of that characteristic.
I was just being a smart***, but sure, I would have looked for a rule at work on something I hadn't considered yet.
1) You speak eloquently and have seemingly read every book ever published.

2) You are a fountain of endless (sometimes useless) knowledge, and never fail to impress at a party.

3) What people love: You can answer almost any question people ask, and have thus been nicknamed Jeeves.

4) What people hate: You constantly correct their grammar and insult their paperbacks.
In (1) and (4), and is the familar truth-functional one, so for one thing, you can switch around the phrases without changing the meaning, e.g.

1a) You [speak eloquently] and [have seemingly read every book ever published].

means the same as (is equivalent to)

1b) You [have seemingly read every book ever published] and [speak eloquently].

I agree that there's the additional info in (3) that the second phrase is a consequence of the first, so switching them around would require more changes, and that and is not truth-functional. It's not as clear to me whether or not the same was intended in (2), but it could be that this person included the commas (consciously or not) to encode that cause-effect relation. Just my first thoughts anyway...
I had no answer to about half the questions, so it wouldn't tell me what I am.
Isn't that your wife's job anyway? :biggrin: A Belated Congratulations too!

Last edited:
Mk
Hello, I am new to this thread. My name is Mk, and I am looking for physics help. Hi. I hope some of you can help me, and possibly wipe my ass if I need it. Einstein and Darwin were wrong.

Hi.

Where is my fish???

rachmaninoff
He is, I fear, soused.

Mk
Yes, I once was put into a barrel of pickles when I was young.