Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Kind Of GlassWare?

  1. May 17, 2007 #1
    Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a kind of glasswear that can withstand very high pressure.

    thanks all:)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    How high is 'very high'? Pristine glassware with ground glass joints is only good to roughly 40 psi... NO SCRATCHES!

    Glassware in steel cyls or polymeric cyls can go much higher. Glass lined pressure reactors can go very high, for example.
  4. May 17, 2007 #3
    something that can withstand like 22242 kPa of pressure
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  5. May 17, 2007 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    :uhh: You do realize what you're saying, right? You want a... glass vessel... that can withstand over two hundred atmospheres of pressure.

    Good luck. You might want to try a DOT tank instead.

    - Warren
  6. May 17, 2007 #5
    well it does'nt have to be glassware.
  7. May 17, 2007 #6
    What are you using the glass for? It might help us give you a recommendation.
  8. May 17, 2007 #7
    i 'm super heating a substance that when heated high tempetures it creates a huge amount of pressure. i dont think glass is the best use, cause it will shatter at a high tempeture and pressure.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook