1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of GPA should I expect to have if I want to get tuition waiver for Graduate

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    school?

My major is Electrical Engineering. I plan on specializing in Power. Currently in junior year with a GPA of 3.52. No co-op or research experience. My current school's engineering program is ranked by usnews as 110-140

My ideal would be to get into a U.C school with tuition waiver for a M.S in electrical engineering. I plan on graduating in 4 years with no work experience. Can I expect my ideal to come true given the above circumstances?

What score should I aim above on the GRE exam?

My family is very poor and international as well so no FAFSA. so I NEED tuition waiver for grad school.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2
    Re: What kind of GPA should I expect to have if I want to get tuition waiver for Grad

Your grades are about where they need to be - try to keep above 3.50.

When you say UC, I assume you meen the Univeristy of California system. If so, keep in mind that these institutions are facing very severe budget issues and funding is more limited. I would still apply to UC system but try to find back ups that seem responsive.

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    Re: What kind of GPA should I expect to have if I want to get tuition waiver for Grad

when you say they are where are need to be, do you mean for admission or for getting financial waivers? I would ideally want to be in uc irvine or uc davis because I see schools such as ucla, usc, cal-tech, berkley as being out of my reach.

I really want to be in california because my family is likely moving there and my sister will likely be transferring to berkley or cal-tech in the next 2 years

thanks

how much will having no job or research experience hurt me if i don't do those things?

5. Oct 18, 2011 #4

Your grades are almost certainly good enough for admission and competitive (but not certain) for financial aid.

Since you are looking at California, I would also suggest UCSD and Cal State Fullerton.

If you don't have research experience, try to emphasize a senior project or something similar.

6. Oct 18, 2011 #5

Check out this website.
    It has peoples GRE scores, Research, and a listing of the schools they applied to and whether they were made an offer or not.

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3421

You can probably find something similar to your situation, if not your situation.

7. Oct 18, 2011 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know how the University of California system works, but my experience has been that tuition isn't waived for graduate school. Rather you are given a TA or RA and/or a financial stipend and that covers tuition and generally gives you enough money to live on (rent, groceries, maybe one movie per week). Further, admission almost always comes with such support.

8. Oct 19, 2011 #7

thanks guys, your comments have been extremely helpful!

9. Oct 19, 2011 #8

Good luck to you, roy. Make your family proud! you can do it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook