What is the Type of Laser Used in My Wine Raman Spectrometer?

• Thread starter new6ton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary: The Sper Scientific 840011 laser power meter has a range of 400-1100 nm and can measure up to +/-5% at calibrated wavelength of 633 nm.
new6ton
My wine raman spectrometer has this laser module included in the box as extra (in case the original one get busted). I'd like to know what kind of laser is it.

nx4u49.jpg
This is its front, note the bronze is the actual laser unit that is fixed with 3 screws in the silver casing:

ILCYsd.jpg

This is back of it:

9P0HxJ.jpg

60.30 means that the mean output is 30 mW at 60% current at ambient conditions.

This is when my beaker with wine was scanned for sugar and other substances:

Q5GyD7.jpg
This is the reflections of the laser at a laminated cabinet 1.1 meters away:

XV07gW.jpg
The safety goggles but without any rating:

L870dI.jpg

This is in the manual:

eECVOi.jpg
My model is R532 (Enspectr). Does it mean if the laser exposure time is 5 seconds, the NOHD (Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance) is higher than 0.6m?

Someone in the internet told me about the laser (I don't have further comments that's why asking here)

"532nm says DPSS (Diode pumped solid state) with intracavity doubler.

It is really two lasers, an 808nm diode laser that provides optical pump power to drive a Nd-YAG laser crystal that operates at 1064nm. Within the YAG laser cavity is a non linear element that generates the output light by frequency doubling the 1064nm radiation to get to 532nm. I would expect the pump laser to be a few hundred mW or so to get 30mW of green.

Be careful, 30mW does not sound like much, but given the application it might have quite good beam quality (And may even be passively Q switched) in which case that is quite sufficient to cost you (or someone nearby) an eye. DPSS lasers also sometimes leak significant amounts of infra red along an axis that is not necessarily aligned with the main beam."

I'm concerned about the pump laser to be a few hundred mW. Is this leaked outside usually? And does a "passively Q switched" is even more powerful? And how true is it that the DPSS lasers also sometimes leak significant amounts of infra red along an axis that is not necessarily aligned with the main beam? How do you measure it?

I'm always more than 1 meter away from the beaker scanned with the green 532nm laser. But I always worry about the words that there is sometimes leak of significant amounts of infra red and the pump laser to be a few hundred mW.

Elsewhere. Scientists use it less than a meter away without any goggles. In the following video, the person holds the gem in front of the unit without any goggles:

Can't it affect him with the pump laser to be a few hundred mW and the "DPSS lasers also sometimes leak significant amounts of infra red along an axis that is not necessarily aligned with the main beam"?

Engineering news on Phys.org
<< Mentor Note -- quoted post by another user about dangerous activities has been deleted from this post >>

My concern was that instead of NOHD (Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance) of mere 0.6 meters. It could be longer even if the laser is diverging (only line of sight laser would take half a kilometer). This is if they didn't take into account the infra red leak and the hundreds of mw of pump laser to drive the 30mW of green. Also it is a module intended for integration into a product, and the certifications may apply to the product not the module. In other words, they are not perfect and could make a mistake.

Has anyone seen such module? Is there another pump laser inside it? I'm looking for one identical to this to see the spec sheet. The manufacturer won't tell me anything about it.

ILCYsd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Torbert said:
I play with 1000 mw green laser of the same output frequency (532 nm) from an infra red source.
Would love to know how you get green out of an IR source since the freq/wavelengths are very different

Thread locked for Moderation...

After deleting a post that contained a discussion of dangerous activities, this thread is re-opened.

I think the best for me now is to get a laser power meter.
I need to ask something important about laser power meter. I saw this at amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EUEU1U/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It has this spec:
  • Sper Scientific 840011 This laser power meter is less than ¾" thick, weighing less than 4 oz. (120 g) and is easily carried in a shirt pocket. Ideal for in the field testing and repair of DVD, VCD, CD and MD (mini disk) players. Range: 400~1100 nm
  • Resolution: +/-5%@calibrated wavelength 633 nm / 1mW
  • Maximum - Minimum
  • Cord Length: 15"
  • Probe Dimensions: 3½" x ½" x ½" (84 x 16 x 10mm)
Can the 1100 nm ceiling detect all leakage infrared beam from main beam of the 532nm laser? (this is to test the concern that "DPSS lasers also sometimes leak significant amounts of infra red along an axis that is not necessarily aligned with the main beam")

Also I think this device just detects laser scatter, to verify guarding is sufficient.

What is the most advanced laser power meter have you come across, used, or saw? I want to get one for one time use to detect any infrared leakages from the raman laser as well as measure the intensity in mW of the green beam. So need utmost in accuracy. What are you using?

new6ton said:
I think the best for me now is to get a laser power meter.
I need to ask something important about laser power meter. I saw this at amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EUEU1U/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It has this spec:
  • Sper Scientific 840011 This laser power meter is less than ¾" thick, weighing less than 4 oz. (120 g) and is easily carried in a shirt pocket. Ideal for in the field testing and repair of DVD, VCD, CD and MD (mini disk) players. Range: 400~1100 nm
  • Resolution: +/-5%@calibrated wavelength 633 nm / 1mW
  • Maximum - Minimum
  • Cord Length: 15"
  • Probe Dimensions: 3½" x ½" x ½" (84 x 16 x 10mm)
Can the 1100 nm ceiling detect all leakage infrared beam from main beam of the 532nm laser? (this is to test the concern that "DPSS lasers also sometimes leak significant amounts of infra red along an axis that is not necessarily aligned with the main beam")

Also I think this device just detects laser scatter, to verify guarding is sufficient.

What is the most advanced laser power meter have you come across, used, or saw? I want to get one for one time use to detect any infrared leakages from the raman laser as well as measure the intensity in mW of the green beam. So need utmost in accuracy. What are you using?

My concern with the above laser power meter spec is the wavelenth at green may predominate. I want one where you can set a filter in the meter to only measure IR laser scatter.

This is useful when you are outside like in Starbucks.. to make sure no one pointed an IR laser at you.. very very dangerous.

Btw. If there is a bully at school teasing the victim with laser pointers. Is this a crime? I think it should be a crime, isn't it? What laws are there in different countries for such laser pointing bullying?

1. What is a laser?

A laser is a device that emits a narrow and intense beam of light through a process called stimulated emission. This light is made up of a single wavelength and is coherent, meaning all the light waves are in phase with each other.

2. How does a laser work?

A laser works by using a source of energy, such as electricity or light, to excite atoms or molecules in a medium. This creates a population inversion, where more atoms are in an excited state than in a lower energy state. When these atoms or molecules release energy, they emit photons, which are all in phase and create the laser beam.

3. What are the different types of lasers?

There are many different types of lasers, including gas lasers, solid-state lasers, semiconductor lasers, and dye lasers. Each type uses a different medium to produce the laser beam and has unique properties and applications.

4. What are some common uses for lasers?

Lasers have a wide range of applications, including in medicine, telecommunications, manufacturing, and research. Some common uses for lasers include laser surgery, barcode scanners, laser printers, and laser cutting and welding in manufacturing processes.

5. How do I know what type of laser I am looking at?

To determine the type of laser, you can look at the wavelength of the laser beam and the medium used to produce it. Gas lasers typically emit visible light, while solid-state and semiconductor lasers can emit a range of wavelengths from ultraviolet to infrared. Additionally, the size and shape of the laser device can also give clues as to its type.