What kind of math is this?

• Thread starter NJJ289
  • Start date
In summary: Differential equations involve taking derivatives with respect to different variables, and that's something I would need to learn more about before I could help you more.
NJJ289
Given the acceleration of a particle as a function of its position (x) along a straight line, how can one create a function to represent its acceleration as a function of time (t)?

I haven't covered differential equations yet and was wondering if this is an example of a kind of problem that subject deals with.
For example,

Let's say the particle moves with A(x)=M/X^2

taking d(A)/d(x) can give the change in Acceleration at any distance x, but what about time?

In calc 1 we did some 'related rates' problems that were similar to this, but they always had a special relationship that let you solve it (right triangles etc).

So: how do you solve this case in particular, what subject matter deals with this, and where can I get more info on other questions like it?

Thanks for the help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically what happens is that you parametrize the system.

I'll give an example of a something going in a circle.

Say we have a system x^2 + y^2 = 1.

We can use the substitution

x = cos(theta)
y = sin(theta)

Now using trigonometric identities we can verify this works since

x^2 + y^2 = cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta) = 1 as required.

You basically do the same sort of thing and put things in terms of a parameter (namely time), but its not always easy to do so (as the circle example)

NJJ289 said:
Given the acceleration of a particle as a function of its position (x) along a straight line, how can one create a function to represent its acceleration as a function of time (t)?

I haven't covered differential equations yet and was wondering if this is an example of a kind of problem that subject deals with.
For example,

Let's say the particle moves with A(x)=M/X^2

taking d(A)/d(x) can give the change in Acceleration at any distance x, but what about time?
A is the velocity at position x? Then the "acceleration" is the derivative with respect to t, not x, whether at a given x or t. Using the chain rule, the acceleration would be given by
[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}= \frac{dA}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
Now, since A is velocity, you are saying that [itex]dx/dt= A[/itex]
so that equation would be the same as
[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}= A\frac{dA}{dx}[/tex]

In particular, if A(x)= M/x^2, as you give, then
[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}= \left(\frac{M}{x^2}\right\left(\frac{-3M}{x^3}\)= -\frac{3M}{x^5}[/tex]

In calc 1 we did some 'related rates' problems that were similar to this, but they always had a special relationship that let you solve it (right triangles etc).

So: how do you solve this case in particular, what subject matter deals with this, and where can I get more info on other questions like it?

Thanks for the help! :)
That's just Calculus- in particular the application of the chain rule.

1. What is the purpose of math?

The purpose of math is to help us understand and describe the world around us, make predictions and solve problems.

2. How is math classified?

Math can be classified into different branches or categories, such as algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics.

3. Is math a science or an art?

Math is considered to be a science because it involves the use of logical reasoning, observation, and experimentation to understand and describe patterns and relationships.

4. What is the difference between pure and applied math?

Pure math is abstract and theoretical, focusing on the development and study of mathematical concepts and structures. Applied math, on the other hand, uses these concepts to solve real-world problems.

5. How can I improve my math skills?

The best way to improve your math skills is through practice. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources and tools to supplement your learning.