What kind of projects can I do at home?

In summary, when a high school student has a free hour and access to a physics classroom, they can have some fun by playing with oscilloscopes and signal generators.
Sanzmatic
Hello, i am a high school student who is interested in physics. Me and my friends want to build something cool. Can be anything related to science. Nothing too complicated but nothing too easy. Something interesting and safe. No dangerous suggestions please. I do not have any qualifications as i am still in high school. The budget is around $100 max. Any project suggestions related to science are welcome. Doing this just for fun and curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sanzmatic said:
Hello, i am a high school student who is interested in physics. Me and my friends want to build something cool. Can be anything related to science. Nothing too complicated but nothing too easy. Something interesting and safe. No dangerous suggestions please. I do not have any qualifications as i am still in high school. The budget is around $100 max. Any project suggestions related to science are welcome. Doing this just for fun and curiosity.
When you do a Google Images search of Science Fair projects, do you see any projects that look like they would be fun to do? :smile:

Likes russ_watters and Bystander
berkeman said:
When you do a Google Images search of Science Fair projects, do you see any projects that look like they would be fun to do? :smile:
A lot of them seem a bit simple

Last edited:
A kid at my school got some attention with a fake perpetual motion machine (lamp, bike wheel with spokes replaced by elastic bands) similar to the one on this page (2nd one down): https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/themes/fake-pm.htm

If it was going to be used for any kind of serious demonstration you could add an explanation of how it works (e.g. a sign saying "to see how it works press this switch" on the lamp switch) and maybe more information about why perpetual motion is impossible.

@Sanzmatic One good field is electronics and Arduino. If you know some programming, you can have a look at the vast and interesting field of programming with Arduinos.

Definitely check Arduinos along with Raspberry Pi projects.

Do not make projectile launchers like a rail gun or a spud gun.

You could also create a solar panel that tracks the sun without an arduino or something similar.

An old thread, but still relevant.

When I was in high school, I had a free hour at the same time as the physics teacher's free hour. He let us play in the physics classroom. One day, a friend and I took out all of the oscilloscopes and signal generators, stacked them in a big pyramid, hooked them up, and made a different Lissajous pattern on each scope. We were in the middle of some highly technical conversation ("OK, I got a 1X2 here, you go for a 2X2"), when the principal walked in. He watched us for a couple of minutes, said "Gosh, that looks very technical", then congratulated the teacher on doing a good job. There's nothing like getting brownie points for playing and having fun.

Likes 2milehi

1. What are some easy science projects I can do at home?

There are many easy science projects that can be done at home, such as creating a volcano using baking soda and vinegar, making a homemade lava lamp, or conducting a simple water density experiment. These projects typically use common household items and can be completed with minimal supervision.

2. Are there any science projects that require specialized equipment?

Some science projects do require specialized equipment, such as a microscope or a chemistry set. However, there are also many projects that can be done at home using everyday materials, such as creating a solar-powered oven or building a simple circuit.

3. What are some science projects that can be done with younger children?

There are many science projects that are appropriate for younger children, such as making a homemade thermometer using a plastic bottle and water, creating a rainbow in a jar with food coloring and oil, or making a paper plate windmill. These projects are fun and educational for children of all ages.

4. Can science projects be done with a group of people?

Yes, science projects can be done with a group of people, such as friends, family, or classmates. In fact, many science projects can be more enjoyable and informative when done in a group, as it allows for collaboration and different perspectives.

5. Are there any science projects that can be done without adult supervision?

There are some science projects that can be done without adult supervision, such as creating a homemade lava lamp or building a simple circuit. However, it is always important to follow safety guidelines and have adult supervision when working with potentially hazardous materials or tools.