Does the Parity Operator Commute with All Hermitian Operators?

• Thread starter roshan2004
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of proving that the parity operation commutes with a Hermitian operator. The speaker wonders how this can be shown, as they only know how to prove that the parity operator is Hermitian. The other speaker explains that the parity operator acts on wave functions with a phase factor, making it easy to prove the commutation relations needed. When asked for an example, the speaker clarifies that the parity operator does not commute with coordinate or momentum operators, but does commute with orbital angular momentum or spin. The conversation ends with the realization that the original question may have been incorrect if it implied that the parity operator commutes with all Hermitian operators.
roshan2004
In my terminal exam I was asked to prove it that the parity operation commutes with Hermitian operator? I wonder how can we show that? coz we can only show that the parity operator is hermitian? We haven't got the value of hermitian operator at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
On wave functions the parity operator acts something like

[tex]P\psi(x)=\eta\psi(-x)[/tex]

where \eta is a phase factor independent of x. Now it should be easy to prove all the commutation relations you need.

Pls Can you show it to me how?

I can try, but first you have to tell me which is the operator you want to calculate the commutator with parity.

Hermitian operator

roshan2004 said:
Hermitian operator

It's not enough. For example, P does not commute with the coordinates x or the momenta p (these anticommute with parity), but it commutes with orbital agular momentum or spin...

So, wasn't the question a wrong one?

If it really implied that the parity operator commutes with all Hermitian operators, then yes, it was wrong.

1. What is the purpose of asking "What kind of question is it?"

Asking "What kind of question is it?" helps to identify the type of question being asked, which can provide insight into the desired information and the best approach to answering it.

2. How many types of questions are there?

There are generally three types of questions: open-ended, closed-ended, and probing questions. Open-ended questions allow for a variety of answers and encourage discussion, while closed-ended questions typically have a yes or no answer. Probing questions are used to gather more information or clarify a particular topic.

3. Can you give examples of different types of questions?

Examples of open-ended questions include "What are your thoughts on this topic?" and "Can you explain your reasoning?" Closed-ended questions can include "Do you agree with this statement?" and "Have you ever experienced this situation?" Probing questions might include "Can you tell me more about that?" and "Why do you think that is?"

4. How can understanding the type of question improve communication?

Understanding the type of question being asked can help both the questioner and the respondent. The questioner can better frame their question to elicit the desired information, while the respondent can tailor their response to match the type of question and provide a more effective answer.

5. Why is it important to ask the right type of question in a scientific setting?

In a scientific setting, asking the right type of question is crucial because it can impact the validity and reliability of the research. Different types of questions require different methods of data collection and analysis, and asking the wrong type of question can lead to inaccurate or incomplete results.