What kind of 'rotation' is the Gaililean transformation?

In summary, the Galilean transformation can be seen as a "flat rotation" in spacetime, also known as a rotation centered at infinity. This is in contrast to the Lorentz transformation, which is a "hyperbolic rotation" that can grow indefinitely. The Galilean transformation is generated by spatial rotations, spacetime translations, and Galilean boosts, while the Lorentz transformation is generated by Lorentz rotations and spacetime translations. The term "flat rotation" was coined by tiny-tim, a researcher in fish-decimal calculus at the University of the Bowliverse.
AdVen
On Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation

one may read:

Thus, the Lorentz transformation can be seen as a hyperbolic rotation of coordinates in Minkowski space, where the rapidity φ represents the hyperbolic angle of rotation.

My question is:

How can the Gaililean transformation been seen, that is, as what kind of 'rotation'?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean [itex]x'=x+vt[/itex], that is not a rotation, but a translation that depends on velocity.

[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 0 & 0 & v_x \\\
0 & 1 & 0 & v_y \\\
0 & 0 & 1 & v_z \\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right]

\left[ \begin{array}{c}
x \\\
y \\\
z \\\
t \end{array} \right]
[/tex]

Galilean transformations are analogous to Poincare transformations. Galilean transformations are generated by spatial rotations and spatial translations. Poincare transformations are generated by Lorentz rotations and spacetime translations.

I am sorry. I know perfectly well what a Galilean transformation is. I also know exactly well how the transformed reference frame moves with respect to the original reference frame in variation with v. I just want to know the name for the Galilean transformation as a certain type of 'rotation' similar to the 'hyperbolic rotation' as a name for the Lorentz transformation. I put rotation between quotes, because I am well aware it is not a rotation as, for example, a circular rotation is.

George Jones said:
Galilean transformations are analogous to Poincare transformations. Galilean transformations are generated by spatial rotations and spatial translations. Poincare transformations are generated by Lorentz rotations and spacetime translations.

Hu? How do you figure?

I do not have the slightest idea what you want to say with your quotation:

"A man ought to read just as inclination leads him; for what he reads as a task will do him little good." Samuel Johnson

Reading is always: trying to understand what has been said (written) and that could be a very difficult task whether you like it or not.

You still do not get it. I simply want as an answer something like: ... - rotation and one word for the dots.

There is not any objection to descripe the Gaililean transformation as a transformation in spacetime.

parabolic.

AdVen said:
You still do not get it. I simply want as an answer something like: ... - rotation and one word for the dots.

This sort of stuff seems to be coming up lately.

I don't think anyone knows what you want, exactly. If you want to 'hyperbolically' transform Euclidean space, use shears and rescaling matrices. No rotations and no translations. With a proper combination of shears and rescaling the end of a vector will follow a hyperbola such as x2 - y2 = c.

Hi AdVen! :smile:
AdVen said:
… I just want to know the name for the Galilean transformation as a certain type of 'rotation' similar to the 'hyperbolic rotation' as a name for the Lorentz transformation. I put rotation between quotes, because I am well aware it is not a rotation as, for example, a circular rotation is.

The Lorentz transformation is called a 'hyperbolic rotation', as distinct from an ordinary circular rotation, because it doesn't repeat … a 'hyperbolic rotation' can get bigger and bigger indefinitely, while a circular rotation keeps returning to the identity (zero rotation).

This is like a hyperbolic space of constant curvature (the constant is negative), which goes on for ever, as opposed to a spherical space of constant curvature (the constant is positive), which doesn't.

In between those two spaces, we have flat spaces of constant curvature (the constant is zero).

So I suppose, by analogy, you could call the Galilean translation a flat rotation, or a rotation centred at infinity. :wink:

(but nobody does)

AdVen said:
I am sorry. I know perfectly well what a Galilean transformation is. I also know exactly well how the transformed reference frame moves with respect to the original reference frame in variation with v. I just want to know the name for the Galilean transformation as a certain type of 'rotation' similar to the 'hyperbolic rotation' as a name for the Lorentz transformation. I put rotation between quotes, because I am well aware it is not a rotation as, for example, a circular rotation is.

Then I have no idea what you want.
Phrak said:
Hu? How do you figure?
When I wrote my post, I was rushing to catch my bus to work, and talking to my daughter. I should have written "Galilean transformations are generated by spatial rotations, spacetime translations, and Galilean boosts. Poincare transformations are generated by Lorentz transformations and spacetime translations."

George Jones said:
Then I have no idea what you want.

When I wrote my post, I was rushing to catch my bus to work, and talking to my daughter."

Nah. One couldn't possibly be distracted by a little girl demanding daddy's attention. :)

Thanks for the clarifications.

Answer to tiny-tim.

You wrote: "... you could call the Galilean translation a flat rotation ...". I think this is a wonderful answer, very close to the answer I was looking for. I am writing an introductory text on SR for high school students and I will use this expression to describe the Galilean translation mathematically. I will mention that this expression is coined by you. For that, however, I need your real name.

Thanks again for your answer.

tiny-tim is my real name​

if you want any biographical details, you can mention that i obtained a degree in fishics at the university of the bowliverse, and since then have done research into fish-decimal calculus under sir isaac the newt :smile:

Answer to tiny-tim.

Thanks a lot for your information. I will use your name and affiliation. At the moment the text is still in Dutch, however, I am about to write the text in English. If you already want to look to the text in Dutch you can go to:

http://www.socsci.ru.nl/~advdv/EinsteinBold.htm

I still have to implement the name coined by you. I have to think how to translate 'flat' in Dutch. By the way, you can very well see how the framework (x',t') moves with respect to (x,t) if you vary v on:

http://webphysics.davidson.edu/applets/Minkowski/Minkowski_FEL.html

If you create a green point, then you can see how the green point moves parallel to the x-axis. That's why I like the name flat rotation.

Thanks again, Ad.

PS. My homepage: http://www.socsci.ru.nl/~advdv/

Reply to tiny-tim.

Hi Tim,

I was looking for the website of the university of the bowliverse (or is it the University of Bowliverse), but could not find it.
I would be most pleased, if you could give me the address and the address of the department you are working.

Yours, Ad.

Hint: Goldfish, bowl, universe.

Cyosis said:
Hint: Goldfish, bowl, universe.

I do not have the slightest idea what you mean unless you are joking. That's oké with me.

As someone earlier mentioned, it would be called a "parabolic rotation". A parabola being the special case on the border between hyperbolic and circular (elliptical).

Constantly rotating points trace out circles. Constantly accelerating points (i.e., with constantly increasing rapidity) in Minkowski spacetime trace out hyperbolas. Constantly accelerating points in Galilean spacetime trace out parabolas.

"parabolic"

Ben Niehoff said:
As someone earlier mentioned, it would be called a "parabolic rotation". A parabola being the special case on the border between hyperbolic and circular (elliptical).

Hi Ben! :smile:

I don't like "parabolic" in this context.

Yes, if you vary the eccentricity of a conic (eg by tilting the plane that cuts a cone), you do get a circle which turns into a really elongated ellipse which turns into a parabola which turns into a really elongated hyperbola which turns into a "square" hyperbola.

But if instead you vary the curvature (or the radius), you get an increasingly larger circle (no ellipses), which turns into a plane, which turns into a "square" hyperbola with increasingly smaller major axis, which turns into a letter "X".

The latter procedure, with its constant curvature, much better represents the difference between spherical Galilean and Minkowski space.
Constantly rotating points trace out circles. Constantly accelerating points (i.e., with constantly increasing rapidity) in Minkowski spacetime trace out hyperbolas. Constantly accelerating points in Galilean spacetime trace out parabolas.

I don't see how acceleration comes into it. :redface:

The original question arose out of the Lorentz transformation being described as a hyperbolic rotation (of coordinates in Minkowski space) …
AdVen said:
On Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation

one may read:

Thus, the Lorentz transformation can be seen as a hyperbolic rotation of coordinates in Minkowski space, where the rapidity φ represents the hyperbolic angle of rotation.

My question is:

How can the Gaililean transformation been seen, that is, as what kind of 'rotation'?

no acceleration involved! … only a symmetric rotation of the whole space! :wink:

1. What is the Gaililean transformation?

The Gaililean transformation is a mathematical transformation used in physics to describe the relationship between two reference frames in relative motion. It was first introduced by Galileo Galilei and later refined by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity.

2. What is the purpose of the Gaililean transformation?

The Gaililean transformation allows us to convert measurements made in one reference frame to another reference frame that is moving at a constant velocity relative to the first frame. This is important in understanding the laws of physics in different inertial frames of reference.

3. Is the Gaililean transformation applicable to all types of motion?

No, the Gaililean transformation is only valid for objects moving at constant velocities. It does not take into account the effects of acceleration or non-inertial reference frames.

4. How is time affected by the Gaililean transformation?

The Gaililean transformation includes a time dilation factor, which means that time appears to pass slower for an observer in one reference frame compared to an observer in another reference frame that is moving at a constant velocity relative to the first. This effect becomes more noticeable as the relative velocity between the two frames increases.

5. Can the Gaililean transformation be used for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light?

No, the Gaililean transformation is only valid for objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light. For objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light, the more complex Lorentz transformation must be used instead.