• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

What kind of school do I have to go to in order to be employable

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
Hi everyone!

So I'm trying to kindle a career in physics. My goal is to be a tenured professor at a research university attacking the superconductivity problem.

I have an issue, though. My qualifications in physics aren't that great, and I have noticed that theoretical physicists (rather than experimentalists) tend to come from the really top schools. So, then, I have two questions:

1) What kind of school do I have to go to in order to be employable (at least enough to support a family!) after I graduate? Do I have to go to the top? (e.g., Harvard, Yale, etc.)
2) On the note of "reputability", how well-respected are University of Florida and its Quantum Theory Project? Will I be able to get a job and be capable enough to solve or significantly contribute to this big unsolved problem in physics??

Brad