1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of studies do I need to enter a college program in Theoretical Physics?

1. Dec 24, 2011 #1
    Hello, since I was a kid I was always interested with the complexity of our universe and the past years I have been more interested into it. I am currently studying Systems Engineering and I am a professor assistant since my 2nd semester. Math is not a problem for me and to be honest I love it. This year I have been feeling the urge to study Theoretical Physics and become a researcher/professor during the course of the years. I was wondering what kind of college degree do I need to get into a Theoretical Physics program and also what College/Universities do you guys recommend? My biggest interests are obviously the M-Theory, String Theory and also Quantum Computing. I am willing to spend as many years as needed to be able to get into any of this fields on a University.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Go into Physics.

4. Dec 24, 2011 #3
    I recommend courses in real and complex analysis. Apart from that, take the usual physics courses that your uni/college has to offer - E&M, classical, and quantum mechanics.

5. Dec 24, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Want to do physics? Then major in physics. It's as easy as that.

6. Dec 25, 2011 #5
    Well, I want to finish Systems Engineering first, but in a talk with my aunt she told me that I could take a masters in Physics and take a phD in Theoretical Physics on a specific branch. Is this possible?

7. Dec 25, 2011 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why do you ask us for advice if you don't want to take it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook