What is the composition of the silver-colored wire in the image?

• Thread starter shawnz1102
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary: The wire is 24 AWG, single stranded, and has a part number printed on the insulation. It is probably made of tin plated copper.
shawnz1102
I'd like to know what material the bottom wire is made of. I'm pretty sure the top one is copper, but the bottom wire is silver in color. Could it be aluminum or can copper wires come in silver color? Both of the wires are 24 awg but the one on the top is single stranded and the bottom one is multi-stranded. Will i be able to solder them together?

[PLAIN]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4231/img01521.jpg [Broken]

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've wondered this myself, I assume that the silvery one is aluminum or some sort of tin alloy?

But yes, you can solder them together, I've done it myself :)

That kind of wiring is made from steel.

Could also be (solder) tinned copper. Is the color homogeneous on the chopped end? If it's aluminum I would doubt the solderability, and even steel doesn't like to tin without more corrosive fluxes. The best way to see if you can solder them is try...

Does the wire have a manufacture and/or part number printed on the insulation?

dlgoff said:
Does the wire have a manufacture and/or part number printed on the insulation?

I see some words on it but it's way too small for my eyes to see. I will contact the seller and ask what material it is.

Almost certainly, the wire is tin plated copper. It's quite common, even more common than bare copper for small hook up wires. It has the advantage that it solders great and is corrode.

A little more rare is silver plated copper. It is used for wire wrapping, board modifications, and I use it for jumpers on solder-less bread-board.

silver plated AWG24 doesn't survive forever, but it makes great connections for short term use.

Mike

Yea, it's probably just tin plated, but there is a chance that it's thermocouple wire. In which case it could be made from a number of alloy/metal types.

1. What is the gauge of this wire?

The gauge of a wire refers to its thickness, and is typically measured in American Wire Gauge (AWG). The higher the gauge number, the thinner the wire. The gauge of a wire can be determined by using a wire gauge tool or caliper.

2. Is this wire insulated?

Insulation on a wire is necessary to protect against electrical shock and prevent short circuits. To determine if a wire is insulated, you can check for a plastic covering or coating on the wire. If the wire is not insulated, it may be dangerous to handle.

3. What material is this wire made of?

Wires can be made of different materials such as copper, aluminum, or steel. The material used for a wire can affect its conductivity, strength, and resistance to corrosion. To determine the material of a wire, you can check for any markings or labels on the wire itself.

4. What kind of current can this wire handle?

The amount of electrical current that a wire can safely handle depends on its gauge, material, and insulation. Most wires have a maximum amperage rating, which is the amount of current the wire can safely carry. It is important to use the appropriate wire for the intended current to avoid overheating or fires.

5. Can I use this wire for outdoor projects?

Some wires are specifically designed for outdoor use and are resistant to moisture, heat, and UV rays. These wires are often labeled as "outdoor" or "weatherproof." It is important to choose the right type of wire for outdoor projects to ensure safety and durability.