Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of writing do you do as a working mechanical engineer?

1. Feb 26, 2014 #1
    Hello, my name is Carly. I am a third-year mechanical engineering major at San Diego State University. I'm trying to get in touch with a current working mechanical engineer for a short interview on the types of written communication in the workplace.

Before you read any further, I will let you know that I need your name (first is fine) as well as the company name you work for and what it is exactly that you do. I also need to know what it is your company manufactures/does, and any other pertinent information. If you are uncomfortable revealing this information in a public forum, please email me personally at outlaw.heart@live.com (my secondary email address). Please help out a future engineer! :smile:

The questions I need answers for are as follows:

1. What kind of documents do you write? (reports, memos, emails, business letters, etc.)
    2. Who writes these documents?
    3. What kind of information is written?
    4. Why is this the preferred method of communication for this particular subject?
    5. Include a specific instance when you needed to write a document (proposal, some type of problem, etc. Be specific!)
    6. What kind of project are you involved in?
    7. Who are these documents for?
    8. Why do they need this information?

To help you get a little more specific, consider these questions as well:

9. Do you write memos? About what and to whom?
    10. Do you produce reports? How long and in what format?
    11. Who will need the information in these reports? For what purpose will they need it?
    12. Do the engineers at this firm write letters to inform or persuade?
    13. Identify specific purposes that you would write an email (as opposed to more formal media like a written letter or informal media like text messaging).

Thank you so much in advance for helping a student out. I sincerely appreciate any input you may have on this subject. Again, if you would feel more comfortable exchanging information via email, please email me at outaw.heart@live.com. Thank you for your time.

- Carly

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted