Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News What kinds of stipulations are there to being granted citizenship to the EU or UK

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    Is it truly (close to) impossible to be granted citizenship in the EU or UK?
    One thing is that you have a much better chance of being granted citizenship if your employer over in the EU or the UK deems that you are in high demand because of your degree or area of study, i.e. a useful trade of some sort should have an easy time being granted citizenship, The Eu has the highest standard of living in the world pretty much. You really don't have a chance unless you have a useful trade, and no one would marry you because most people in the EU don't want American citizenship , correct?

The other thing is that

You have no chance if you can't contribute to their society but that is just the tip of the iceberg , There are stipulations to obtaining citizenship too. Its seems harder to move there then it does to get into the USA. EU also has the most happy people also, But what are the other stipulations and such, isn't having a useful high in demand degree enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

What's your problem? I honestly do not see anything in your post except for your apparently highly biased opinion... which means there is nothing usefull in it. Yes Europe is amazing we all bow down.

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    If anyone knows, - one question was, what are some of the stipulations to being granted citizenship, this isn't really my opinion , this is what was said by someone else, and I am wondering what their line of reasoning was, which begs the question, I'd like to know what some of the stipulations are, with regards to what makes it so difficult to be granted citizenship to the EU or the UK ?

5. Dec 10, 2009 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's certainly not impossible. There are different procedures to obtaining citizenship of each European country, so it's difficult to compare. In the UK, for example, I think it's fairly straightforward to obtain citizenship: you need to reside in the country for five years, and then pass a simple(ish) test on history and culture. The former is the hardest part and, unless you've got an employer who is keen to offer you a job, it may be difficult to get in in the first place. However, things have changed recently to a new points based immigration system, which means that if you have a higher degree, then it's likely you'll be admitted under the 'highly skilled worker' section.

Firstly, please don't hint towards the fact that you'll marry for a passport. Secondly, you don't immediately become a citizen of the UK if you marry a UK citizen. You do, however, obtain 'right of abode.'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook