1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What language to learn?

1. May 28, 2005 #1
    I'm a native english speaker who took latin in high school. What language do you think I should learn in college? I'm considering ancient greek because I might go for a classics major, but I'm also thinking about something that would make it easier to travel the world. Other possible majors include philosophy, mathematics, physics and international relations. My school offers French, German, ancient Greek, Russian, Chinese, and Spanish. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Take Spanish, because it's the language most printed (books, encyclopedias, etc..) [if i remember correctly :tongue:]

4. May 28, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

italian. I learned some sentances in it..I need to listen to those CD's again

EDIT: you don't have italian, so french. I learned some of that too

5. May 28, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do not take Chinese; the Chinese language is extremely difficult to learn for a native English speaker. Among other things, there are phonetic nuances used frequently in Chinese that is not present in English.

6. May 28, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

Why would anyone want to learn ancient greek?

7. May 28, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Because they are geeks? :confused:

8. May 28, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

oh..that's me...uuhhh...I'm gonna go learn ancient greek...NO! MUST RESIST...GEEKINESS!!! :uhh:

9. May 28, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spanish or French would both be pretty useful, from a practical point of view.

10. May 28, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

oh, practical...spanish

11. May 28, 2005 #10

jma2001

Gold Member

Some of the greatest literature in history -- Homer, Sophocles, Plato, Aristotle -- was written in ancient Greek. Who wouldn't want to learn it?

12. May 28, 2005 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

People who don't read great literature, perhaps?

13. May 28, 2005 #12

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

It depends obviously on your intended use for the language.

Ancient Greek is presumably for reading the classics in the original and impressing some people.

The scientific language of foremost usefulness is English, and after that French and German for reading classic works of the 19th century.

A few 19th century works of science are in Latin, from a wrong guided prediction of what the international language of science would become.

Italy is many people's favorite country to visit, and hence it would be useful to be able to speak to the locals in their own tongue.

Latin America offers a huge variety of destinations where Spanish is the chosen language, and there is a lot of wonderful literature in Spanish.

China is the one of the most populous countries, and with the current rapid decline of US capitalism, may become the most powerful economically in your lifetime, making Chinese a potentially useful language for business as well as travel.

The rhetorical question above reminded me of one i got from an otherwise intelligent parent, when I was trying to advocate teaching French to junior high children at a local private school: "who needs to know French?"

Only a person remarkably untraveled could ask such a question. Having visited France, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Holland, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, Italy, Japan, Chile, and having friends who are Russian, Swedish, Bulgarian, Turkish, etc.. etc.., I have at times wished I knew all these languages.

I have learned more than a few words of 6 or 7 of them, and can accomplish some basic duties in French, Spanish, and German, and read some of these as well as Russian and Italian.

Even back when I was reasonably fluent in Mexican Spanish, I encountered whole villages of indigenous people in that country who could not understand a word I said in it, presumably indians.

I can say thank you to shopkeepers in Korean and for a time in Bulgarian, and goodbye in Mandarin, but it slips away if you don't use it, like math.

My Dutch, Portugese and Norwegian are pretty non existent though.

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  14. May 28, 2005 #13
    Ancient Greek would obviously be for reading original texts, which would be useful in both a philosophy and classics major (two of the several I'm considering). On top of that I'd probably go with German because my course catalogue recommends that people looking into graduate school in the classics would benefit from French or German. If I don't do classics German could still be useful in philosophy or science, since I hear a large number of scientific and technical journals are published in German.

15. May 28, 2005 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

why learn obsolete languages and other inferior ways of things

study math and physics instead. those obsolete philosophical ideas of ancient Greece - who cares? Its not relevant today - wont be relevant tomorrow or hundred years from now. No matter what anyone tells you - its history, and only those who have no better knowledge of understanding of the Universe around them will study ancient texts of Greek philosophers

16. May 28, 2005 #15
    Learn Chinese ... Even though its hard, its definately gonna come in use due to its growing importance in the world.

17. May 28, 2005 #16

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

cronkxeh, I assume you are just kidding.

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  18. May 28, 2005 #17

cronxeh

Gold Member

im serious

and if you have an argument for otherwise - post specific examples of why learning Ancient Greek will be benefecial for future of humanity?

What positives, if any, can we take from Greek culture?

The centuries of blodshed and what little scientific achievements they've had are obsolete today. Sure they are significant, but not significant enough to be studied. They are obsolete. Plain and simple

19. May 28, 2005 #18

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

no really, i know when someone is pulling my chain. this is obviously a joke. but i'm not biting. you are obviously a smart guy, so this is a gag, qed.

20. May 28, 2005 #19
    I took 3 years of Japanese in high school. I am fluent in Polish, though, so the pronounciation of Japanese came much easier to me than someone who only speaks English. However, I forgot 90% of it over summer break. :(

I want to re-learn some of it over summer, I'll get some books and such.

PL

21. May 28, 2005 #20

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i spent some time in japan and was surprized that pronouncing japanese is much easier for english speakers than say german or russian, hence presumably polish.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?