What Are the Risks of Legalizing All Drugs?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of legalizing all drugs, including prescription medicines. The speakers also mention repealing the 16th amendment and eliminating copyright and patent laws. While some potential issues are raised, the overall sentiment is in favor of legalizing drugs.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you could change one law or one legal standard, what would it be? Law means the effect of a legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity, not physical laws :biggrin:

Not just one law but I would legalize all drugs; esp so as to eliminate prescriptions for medicine. Not to say that this would be a problem free solution by any means, but legal and illegal drugs are such rackets in so many ways that I see no other way to resolve essential problems in either case. Although they have always thought that I was way off target here, now that my parents are well into their seventies and medication is a big part of their lives, for practical reasons they now agree with me about prescription medicines.

Even famously conservative intellectuals such as William F Buckley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_F._Buckley have long supported this idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would repeal the 16th amendment

I would eliminate all copyright and patent laws. Therefore I would repeal Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the Constitution.

While for the most part I would agree with you, I also see some bad possibilities. If drugs that are currently prescription only were to become easy to buy, then you'd see more people trying to treat themselves rather than seeing a doctor. We already have a huge issue with antibiotic resistant diseases now, imagine how much worse that could get. The person who bought the drugs is not in that case the only person with a potential to be harmed and the potential instead is for epidemics that we can't treat effectively.

For currently illegal drugs, I agree completely. I always thought that was kind of silly to be trying so hard to protect people from themselves.

1. What is the current law that you would change?

The current law that I would change is the law on single-use plastic bags. Many countries and states have already implemented a ban on these bags due to their harmful impact on the environment.

2. Why do you think this law needs to be changed?

I believe this law needs to be changed because single-use plastic bags are a major contributor to pollution and harm to wildlife. They take hundreds of years to decompose and often end up in our oceans, causing harm to marine life.

3. What alternatives do you suggest for this law?

I suggest implementing a ban on single-use plastic bags and encouraging the use of reusable bags made from sustainable materials. Many stores already offer reusable bags for purchase at a low cost, and some even offer incentives for bringing your own bag.

4. How can this law be changed effectively?

This law can be changed effectively through a combination of government legislation, public education and awareness, and corporate responsibility. It is important for all stakeholders to work together to implement and enforce the changes.

5. What impact do you think changing this law would have?

Changing this law would have a significant positive impact on the environment. It would reduce pollution and waste, protect wildlife, and promote more sustainable practices. It would also encourage individuals and businesses to be more mindful of their consumption habits and make more environmentally friendly choices.