What magazine should i choose?

• Thread starter spockjones
  • Start date
spockjones

Main Question or Discussion Point

This year for Christmas I was told by my dad that I could get a subscription to the science magazine of my choice. Right now I am trying to decide between PopSci and Scientific American, but I do not really know what one would be the better choice because I havent read them before. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the two, and what one you would prefer. Thanks!

P.S. If you have any other recommendations for magazines those would be appreciated as well.

Answers and Replies

jtbell
Mentor
It depends a lot on your background: what level of school you're in, and how much math and science you've studied. Can you browse through them in a library or bookstore? Their web sites probably also have samples of articles that you can look at.

I've never read Scientific American (save for flipping through it in bookstores occasionally), but I have a subscription to PopSci which I quite enjoy. PopSci seem to be centred on technology and innovation with devices. Lots of the articles that I've read that are springing to mind are, "This is our problem, this gadget is a potential solution."

spockjones
Alright thanks to both of you ill see if i can look at the library

Popular Science is always fun, but it's actually more often about high-tech gadgets and engineering. They have nice figures and summaries that get to the point quickly. The articles are more readily accessible and readable.

Scientific American is more "scientific". You'll get more details on actual science. When there are physics articles, they are great, but the magazine includes articles on many fields of science, and since it's pretty researched, the ones that aren't in your main field of interest are less interesting (by definition right?).

So if you like gadgets and engineering : PopSci
If your mostly an academic-intellectual type : SciAm