1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What makes a mathematician ?

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    To be a mathematician, what do you have to do? Just get a BSc in Math? Or does it require a PhD ?

Just curious. Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

That's a pretty nonsensical/uninteresting question. It depends on what you mean by "being a mathematician", there is no universal definition thereof. Having done original research might be part of such a definition, and most BSc students don't have this (but some do).

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3
    THanks,

What I meant is, if someone said they were a Mathematician, what does that mean? THey have a Degree In math? Type of work? Research? PHd in math? What does it take to call your self a mathematician?

Same with a physicist? What makes a physicist a physicist ?

5. Sep 22, 2010 #4

Landau

Science Advisor

I think it means that they at least have a degree in mathematics. I would consider someone with a MSc in mathematics and a job outside of academia involving some mathematics still a mathematician. But other people might only call someone a mathematician if he has a PhD and is doing research at a university.

6. Sep 22, 2010 #5
  7. Sep 22, 2010 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a book on how to be a magician i read as a kid suggested that you are a magician if you can do one trick well. so maybe a mathematician is someone who has discovered or proved one result semi - independently?

or maybe you are one if you think you are?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook