What triggers feelings of guilt in the brain?

• Thread starter Carlos Hernandez
  • Start date
In summary: Personality Disorder" and see what comes up.In summary, the researchers found that decreased activity in the frontal cortex was associated with psychopathic traits.
Carlos Hernandez
What makes a psychopath?

By Caroline Ryan
BBC News Online health staff

Many people tell the odd white lie - taking a day off "sick" or halving the amount they spend on a shopping trip.
But most feel a little bit guilty about the deception.

Scientists have now found that twinge of conscience can be seen in increased activity in the brain.

Complete text at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3116662.stm

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting that psychopaths lack this increased activity. it takes absolutely no effort for a psycopath to lie.

what maks a pychopath

Lack of love and appreciation and a misunderstanding of their engenius.

But the difficulty of lying comes from neural interaction in the frontal cortex. Put this together with the http://www.loni.ucla.edu/~thompson/MEDIA/NN/Press_Release.html [Broken] that showed grey matter in the frontal cortex is correlated with IQ and with Spearman's g. What do you get?

Are low IQ people systematically at risk for psychopathic disorders

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope its not splitting hairs, but the term "psychopath" is passe. Current research studying individuals with the traits I believe you are referring to is done in the field of personality reseach, and the disorder is now referred to as Antisocial Personality Disorder.

One place I read that sociopath was a term sociologists invented so they wouldn't have to write SOB.

Here are the diagnostic criteria for Antisocial PD (DSM-IV-TR 301.22):
"A. A pervasive pattern of diregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:
(1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors such as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
(2) decietfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
(3) impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
(4) irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
(5) reckless disregard for the safety of self or others
(6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations
(7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another
B. The individual is at least age 18 years.
C. There is evidence of Conduct Disorder (see DSM IV-TR pg. 98) with onset before age 15 years.
D. The occurance of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of Schizophrenia or a Manic Episode."

Of course, this is not the only definition, but it is by far the most accepted, and most widely researched.

Jenn_ucsb said:
Here are the diagnostic criteria for Antisocial PD (DSM-IV-TR 301.22):
"A. A pervasive pattern of diregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:
(1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors such as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
(2) decietfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
(3) impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
(4) irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
(5) reckless disregard for the safety of self or others
(6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations
(7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another
B. The individual is at least age 18 years.
C. There is evidence of Conduct Disorder (see DSM IV-TR pg. 98) with onset before age 15 years.
D. The occurance of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of Schizophrenia or a Manic Episode."

Of course, this is not the only definition, but it is by far the most accepted, and most widely researched.

Judging by the criteria given, I think it would safe to classify myself as a psychopath.

Do you need a referral? J/K
Implicit in any psychiatric diagnosis is disruption in the life of the client, or in the lives of those around them. I assume you have nothing to fear.

Last edited:
Jenn_ucsb said:
I hope its not splitting hairs, but the term "psychopath" is passe. Current research studying individuals with the traits I believe you are referring to is done in the field of personality reseach, and the disorder is now referred to as Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Psychopath, sociopath, antisocial personality type, all the exact same thing, at least so my psych textbook tells me.

They all describe the same set of people. Correct. But, since Anitsocial PD was created in the DSM, use of the terms psychopath and sociopath have been abandoned by researchers, or clinical psych researchers anyway. Dyssocial personality disorder has also been used to describe this disorder. Do a little experiment...Google "psychopath" and look at the kinds of websites that come up (I got MSN, Amazon, and a lot of random junk). Now Google "Antisocial personality disorder", then you tell me which one is the clinical term, and which one is the layman's term.

Well, since my textbook was published after the first DSM, and uses all three terms interchangably...

And we all know that there are no poorly-worded textbooks, right kids?
Use whatever terminology you like, but your textbook is not a reference for researchers and academicians...the DSM IV is. I'll leave it at that.

Sorry "kids", that is incorrect. The DSM is only a diagnosis manual. It is not a resource for researchers or academics. It is a resource for psychological analysis of patients. It does not contain information sufficient for any sort of research other than using it as a reference for categorising symptoms.

Last edited:
How do you suppose researchers would study a disorder if they did not have objective, standardized criteria to decide whether or not a subject has a specific diagnosis? This is one of the major purposes of the DSM.

Read the DSM. It doesn't do anything at all for research. For research, you want to study chemistry, surveys of social behaviours, neurology, et cetera.

I know you guys are talking about me.

Yes, we are...

What about the business psychopaths? The ruthless desicion makers? We all probably know a couple...

If limited to low income environments, many CEO's might become crime bosses. CEO's, like doctors, can't succeed by being sentimental, they are certainly hard nosed.

Adam said:
Read the DSM. It doesn't do anything at all for research. For research, you want to study chemistry, surveys of social behaviours, neurology, et cetera.

I have read the DSM cover-to-cover numerous times for graduate courses in psychopathology. I use it as a reference in my own research so frequently, I own a copy. I am well aware of its uses and its limitations. I have been involved in research in psychopathology for years now.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your background in psychology? To what extent have you studied it, and where?

Antisocialology

Jenn_ucsb said:
I hope its not splitting hairs, but the term "psychopath" is passe. Current research studying individuals with the traits I believe you are referring to is done in the field of personality reseach, and the disorder is now referred to as Antisocial Personality Disorder...

...since Anitsocial PD was created in the DSM, use of the terms psychopath and sociopath have been abandoned by researchers, or clinical psych researchers anyway...

I have been involved in research in psychopathology for years now.
Or perhaps you are a researcher in antisocialology, since the term "psychopath" has been abandoned.

Jenn_ucsb: At Monash uni and Chisholm Institute, as a student, and in other situations. If you read it so much, you should be aware of what it is. It lists criteria for diagnosis, and that's it. It doesn't detail brain structure, doesn't detail brain chemistry, doesn't give statistics of behaviour, doesn't give medical information for physiological causes of mental illnesses (such as head trauma). I'm sure it provides a quick and easy reference for deciding what condition is in effect when you're looking at a patient, but that's not research. That's diagnosis.

For those who haven't seen it, go here: http://www.psychologynet.org/dsm.html [Broken]

OK, so you were not a psych major, you have not completed graduate work in psych, and you have not been involved in psych research. That's alright. I have, and if you'll listen, I'll help you clear this up.
I'm going to make this as concrete as possible. It's the long route, but that's fine. Go to your local library. Use PsychInfo, or whatever psych online journal search engine your library has available. Look up an article called "Psychophysiological, Somatic, and Affective Changes Across the Menstrual Cycle in Women With Panic Disorder". The first author is Dr. Sandra T. Sigmon, and it was published in the Journal of Counseling and Clinical Psychology. Go find that and look at the very first citation in the reference section.
For that matter, you could look up almost any article in psychopathology research and find the same. But since I happen to be holding this particular article in my hands, that is the assignment I'll give you.
Just in case you can't find that article, try this one:
Hecker. J., et al. (1998)Cognitive Restructuring and Interoceptive Exposure in the Treatment of Panic Disorder: A Crossover Study. Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapy.26, 115-131.
This one also cites the DSM as its very first reference.
When you have done this let me know. And if you have any questions afterward, I will be happy to answer them.

Last edited:
Jenn_ucsb: Thanks for naming articles which mention the DSM. That's just ducky. I also possesses a few which mention it. Actually, they cite it as their reference for classifications. Oh, wait. That's what I said it was for, several posts ago. No, I don't need to download those articles, since, as I just said, I already have some which cite the DSM. I'm well aware that people use it as a reference for classification. However, once again: It doesn't detail brain structure, doesn't detail brain chemistry, doesn't give statistics of behaviour, doesn't give medical information for physiological causes of mental illnesses (such as head trauma). I'm sure it provides a quick and easy reference for deciding what condition is in effect when you're looking at a patient, but that's not research. That's diagnosis.

Your assignment: Read what the producers of the DSM say about it: http://www.psych.org/public_info/dsm.pdf

Now, I have only one question: Apart from looking up lists for classifications, how is the DSM of use to you in research?

Jenn_ucsb said:
Look up an article called "Psychophysiological, Somatic, and Affective Changes Across the Menstrual Cycle in Women With Panic Disorder".
This one?:
  • Author
    Sigmon, Sandra T; Dorhofer, Diana M; Rohan, Kelly J; Hotovy, Lisa A; Boulard, Nina E; Fink, Christine M.

Institution
    U Maine, Dept of Psychology, Orono, ME, US, 1.

Title
    Psychophysiological, somatic, and affective changes across the menstrual cycle in women with panic disorder.

Source
    Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology. Vol 68(3) Jun 2000, 425-431.
    American Psychological Assn, US

Publisher URL
    http://www.apa.org [Broken]

Journal URL
    http://www.apa.org/journals/ccp.html [Broken]

ISSN
    0022-006X (Print)

Language
    English

Abstract
    This study explored menstrual symptoms, somatic focus, negative affect, and psychophysiological responding across the menstrual cycle in women with panic disorder and controls. Women with and without panic disorder completed a psychophysiological task and self-report measures of menstrual symptoms, somatic focus, and negative affect on 4 occasions across 2 menstrual cycles (twice during intermenstrual and premenstrual phases). Women in the panic disorder group exhibited greater skin conductance magnitude and more frequent skin conductance responses to anxiety-provoking stimuli during the premenstrual phase than did controls. Compared to controls, women with panic disorder endorsed more severe menstrual symptoms relating to bodily sensations, anxiety sensitivity, state and trait anxiety, fear of body sensations, and illness-related concerns. The applicability of anxiety sensitivity to understanding the relation of menstrual reactivity and panic disorder is discussed. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2002 APA, all rights reserved) (journal abstract)

Key Concepts
    symptoms & somatic focus & negative affect & psychophysiological responding across menstrual cycle, females (mean age 29.63 yrs) with panic disorder

Subject Headings
    *Emotional States
    *Menstrual Cycle
    *Panic Disorder
    *Symptoms
    *Somatization
    Human Females
    Psychophysiology

Classification Code
    Neuroses & Anxiety Disorders [3215]

Population Group
    Human; Female. Adulthood (18 yrs & older).

Form/Content Type
    Empirical Study.

Special Feature
    References; Peer Reviewed.

Publication Type
    Journal Article

Publication Year

Number of Cited References
    Number Of Citations: 39, Number of Citations Displayed: 38

Cited References
    (1) American Psychiatric Association. (1987).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.). Washington, DC: Author.
    (2) Beck, A. T. (1978). Beck Depression Inventory. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corporation.
    (3) Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A. & Garbin, M. G. (1988). Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: Twenty-five years of evaluation. Clinical Psychology Review, 8, 77-100.[Reference Link]
    (4) Borden, J. W. & Lister, S. C. (1994). The anxiety sensitivity construct: Cognitive reactions to physiological change. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 8, 311-321.[Reference Link]
    (5) Boyle, G. J. & Grant, A. F. (1992). Prospective versus retrospective assessment of menstrual cycle symptoms and moods: Role of attitudes and beliefs. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 14, 307-321.[Reference Link]
    (6) Brooks, J., Ruble, D. & Clark, A. (1977). College women's attitudes and expectations concerning menstrual-related changes. Psychosomatic Medicine, 39, 288-298.[Reference Link]
    (7) Cameron, O. G., Kuttesch, D., McPhee, K. & Curtis, G. C. (1988). Menstrual fluctuation in the symptoms of panic anxiety. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 15, 169-174.
    (8) Chambless, D. L., Caputo, G. C., Bright, P. & Gallagher, R. (1984). Assessment of fear of fear in agoraphobics: The Body Sensations Questionnaire and the Agoraphobic Cognitions Questionnaire. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 52, 1090-1097.[Reference Link]
    (9) Clark, D. M., Salkovskis, P. M., Öst, L. -G., Breitholtz, E., Koehler, K. A., Westling, B. E., Jeavons, A. & Gelder, M. (1997). Misinterpretation of bodily sensations in panic disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 65, 203-213.[Reference Link]
    (10) Cook, B. L., Noyes, R., Garvey, M. J., Beach, V., Sobotka, J. & Chaudhry, D. (1990). Anxiety and the menstrual cycle in panic disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders, 19, 221-226.[Reference Link]
    (11) DiNardo, P. A., Barlow, D. H., Cerny, J., Vermilyea, B. B., Vermilyea, J. A., Himadi, W. & Waddell, M. (1985). Anxiety Disorders Interview Schedule-Revised (ADIS-R). Albany: State University of New York, Phobia and Anxiety Disorders Clinic.
    (12) DiNardo, P. A., Moras, K., Barlow, D. H., Rapee, R. M. & Brown, T. A. (1993). Reliability of DSM-III-R anxiety disorders categories using the Anxiety Disorders Interview Schedule-Revised (ADIS-R). Archives of General Psychiatry, 50, 251-256.[Reference Link]
    (13) Dow, R. (1991) PSYLAB [Computer software]. London, United Kingdom: Contact Precision Instruments. Dow, R. (1991) PSYLAB [Computer software]. London, United Kingdom: Contact Precision Instruments.
    (14) Kaspi, S. P., Otto, M. W., Pollack, M. H., Eppinger, S. & Rosenbaum, J. F. (1994). Premenstrual exacerbation of symptoms in women with panic disorder. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 8, 131-138.[Reference Link]
    (15) Kellner, R., Abbott, P., Winslow, W. W. & Pathak, D. (1987). Fears, beliefs, and attitudes in DSM-III hypochondriasis. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 175, 20-25.[Reference Link]
    (16) Kellner, R., Slocumb, J. C., Wiggins, R. J., Abbott, P. J., Romanik, R. L., Winslow, W. W. & Pathak, D. (1987). The relationship of hypochondriacal fears and beliefs to anxiety and depression. Psychiatric Medicine, 4, 15-24.
    (17) Klebanov, P. K. & Jemmott, J. B. (1992). Effects of expectations and bodily sensations on self-reports of premenstrual symptoms. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 16, 289-310.[Reference Link]
    (18) Maller, R. G. & Reiss, S. (1992). Anxiety sensitivity in 1984 and panic attacks in 1987. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 6, 241-247.[Reference Link]
    (19) McFarland, C., Ross, M. & DeCourville, N. (1989). Women's theories of menstruation and biases in recall of menstrual symptoms. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57, 522-531.[Reference Link]
    (20) McNair, D. M., Lorr, M. & Droppleman, L. F. (1971). EDITS manual for the Profile of Mood States. San Diego, CA: EDITS.
    (21) Metcalf, M. G. & Hudson, S. M. (1985). The premenstrual syndrome: Selection of women for pretreatment trials. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 29, 631-638.[Reference Link]
    (22) Moos, R. H. (1969). The development of a Menstrual Distress Questionnaire. Psychosomatic Medicine, 30, 853-867.[Reference Link]
    (23) Moos, R. H. (1985). Perimenstrual symptoms: A manual and overview of research with the Menstrual Distress Questionnaire. Stanford, CA: Author.
    (24) Norton, G. R., Dorward, J. & Cox, B. J. (1986). Factors associated with panic attacks in nonclinical subjects. Behavior Therapy, 17, 239-252.[Reference Link]
    (25) Peterson, R. A. & Heilbronner, R. L. (1987). The Anxiety Sensitivity Index: Construct validity and factor analytic structure. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 1, 117-121.[Reference Link]
    (26) Reiss, S. & McNally, R. J. (1985). The expectancy model of fear. Theoretical issues in behavior therapy (pp. 107-122). In S. Reiss & R. R. Bootzin (Eds.), New York: Academic Press.
    (27) Reiss, S., Peterson, R. A., Gursky, D. M. & McNally, R. J. (1986). Anxiety sensitivity, anxiety frequency, and the prediction of fearfulness. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 24, 1-8.[Reference Link]
    (28) Schmidt, N. B., Lerew, D. R. & Jackson, R. J. (1997). The role of anxiety sensitivity in the pathogenesis of panic: Prospective evaluation of spontaneous panic attacks during acute stress. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 106, 355-364.[Reference Link]
    (29) Schmidt, N. B., Lerew, D. R. & Trakowski, J. H. (1997). Body vigilance in panic disorder: Evaluating attention to bodily perturbations. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 65, 214-220.[Reference Link]
    (30) Shostak, B. B. & Peterson, R. A. (1990). Effects of anxiety sensitivity on emotional response to a stress task. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 28, 513-521.[Reference Link]
    (31) Sigmon, S. T., Dorhofer, D. M., Rohan, K. J. & Boulard, N. E. (in press). The impact of anxiety sensitivity, bodily expectations, and cultural beliefs on menstrual symptom reporting: A test of the menstrual reactivity hypothesis. Journal of Anxiety Disorders.
    (32) Sigmon, S. T., Fink, C. M., Rohan, K. J. & Hotovy, L. A. (1996). Anxiety sensitivity and menstrual cycle reactivity: Psychophysiological and self-report differences. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 10, 393-410.[Reference Link]
    (33) Spielberger, C. D. (1988). State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Dictionary of behavioral techniques (pp. 448-450). In M. Hersen & A. S. Bellack (Eds.), New York: Pergamon Press.
    (34) Spielberger, C. D., Gorsuch, R. L. & Lushene, R. E. (1970). Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
    (35) Stein, M. B., Schmidt, P. J., Rubinow, D. R. & Uhde, T. W. (1989). Panic disorder and the menstrual cycle: Panic disorder patients, healthy control subjects, and patients with premenstrual syndrome. American Journal of Psychiatry, 146, 1299-1303.[Reference Link]
    (36) Taylor, S. (1995). Anxiety sensitivity: Theoretical perspectives and recent findings. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 33, 243-258.[Reference Link]
    (37) Taylor, S. & Cox, B. J. (1998). Anxiety sensitivity: Multiple dimensions and hierarchic structure. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 36, 37-51.[Reference Link]
    (38) Taylor, S., Koch, W. J. & McNally, R. J. (1992). How does anxiety sensitivity vary across the anxiety disorders? Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 6, 249-259.[Reference Link]

Jenn_ucsb said:
Just in case you can't find that article, try this one:
Hecker. J., et al. (1998)Cognitive Restructuring and Interoceptive Exposure in the Treatment of Panic Disorder: A Crossover Study. Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapy.26, 115-131.
This one also cites the DSM as its very first reference.
Unfortunately, PsycINFO doesn't list any of the references for this paper. The complete reference simply says:

• Author
    Hecker, Jeffrey E; Fink, Christine M; Vogeltanz, Nancy D; Thorpe, Geoffery L; Sigmon, Sandra T.

Institution
    U Maine, Dept of Psychology, Orono, ME, US, 1.

Title
    Cognitive restructuring and interoceptive exposure in the treatment of panic disorder: A crossover study.

Source
    Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapy. Vol 26(2) 1998, 115-131.
    Cambridge Univ Press, US

Publisher URL
    http://www.journals.cup.org

Journal URL
    http://uk.cambridge.org/journals/bcp/

ISSN
    1352-4658 (Print)

Language
    English

Abstract
    The relative efficacy of cognitive restructuring and interoceptive exposure procedures for the treatment of panic disorder, as well as the differential effects of the order of these interventions, was studied. 18 clients with panic disorder were seen for 4 sessions of exposure therapy and 4 sessions of cognitive therapy in a crossover design study. Half of the participants received exposure therapy followed by cognitive therapy and for half the order was reversed. There was a 1-month follow-up period between the 2 interventions and after the second intervention. Questionnaire measures and independent clinician ratings were used to assess outcome. Participants expected greater benefit from cognitive therapy, but tended to improve to a similar degree with either intervention. The order in which treatments were presented did not influence outcome. Participants tended to improve with the first intervention and maintain improvement across the follow-up periods and subsequent intervention. Several methodological limitations qualify the conclusions that can be drawn from this study. These limitations, as well as some conceptual and methodological challenges of conducting this type of research, are discussed. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2002 APA, all rights reserved)

Key Concepts
    cognitive restructuring & interoceptive exposure, 22-62 yr olds with panic disorder

Subject Headings
    *Cognitive Restructuring
    *Exposure Therapy
    *Panic Disorder

Classification Code
    Cognitive Therapy [3311]

Population Group
    Human; Male; Female. Adulthood (18 yrs & older); Young Adulthood (18-29 yrs); Thirties (30-39 yrs); Middle Age (40-64 yrs).

Form/Content Type
    Empirical Study.

Special Feature
    References; Peer Reviewed.

Publication Type
    Journal Article

Publication Year

Update Code

Media Type
    Print (Paper)

Thank you hitssquad. How very kind of you.

Adam, your view of research is a tad scewed. How exactly do you research something without classifying it first? I read your link when you first posted it. This has become an inefficient use of my time, and I am wondering why I am continuing to respond at all, as I am getting nowhere. It seems that you are not seeking the truth. You are merely seeking to argue. I have noticed this behavior on your behalf on other threads. I have no reason to need you to listen to me. So, I'll part with this advice...go talk to a prof that researches psychopathology for a living, and ask them if the DSM is involved in the research process. Or don't...

Research is learning. Finding new data. Experimentation, surveying, polling, et cetera. Saying that using the DSM is research because it shows you the right words to use when writing your report is like saying the English dictionary is a research tool for the precise same reason. Might as well cite the Oxford English dictionary after the use of every English word. Although an over-the-top example, it is precisely the same mechanic at work.

they are unable to make any distinction between objective and subjective environment or reality. To them, it is only 'their' reality, they do not participate with us but plot against us.

They also always fail eventualy due to this error in their mental makeup.
World Leaders, anyone? :eek:

Moonrat said:
they are unable to make any distinction between objective and subjective environment or reality. To them, it is only 'their' reality, they do not participate with us but plot against us.

They also always fail eventualy due to this error in their mental makeup.
World Leaders, anyone? :eek:
Someone can jump in and make everything clearer. Someone has such an ability by his long long long but little and short meanings related to the main topic. such posts are considered good because they contain so much information.
Moon rat, if you get there to cooperate with them, you might get profits in the end by being able to be loved by another male rat. :p

toloXXX said:
Oh, forgot to say, i am a world leader :p

-Wicked cruel purple-

Oh so your speaking from experiance?
:tongue:

Psychiatrists are the bottom-feeders of the medical profession.

FBI's conclusion on Columbine: http://slate.msn.com/id/2099203/ [Broken]

Back