Why do atoms undergo alpha and beta decay?

• I
  • Thread starter LotusTK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary: The regions of stability and instability are controlled by the ratios of neutrons to protons. Having too many neutrons makes an atom more unstable, while having too many protons makes an atom less stable.
LotusTK
My understanding of what makes an atom unstable is this:

Large nuclei will have a high number of protons, and as a result there will be large amount of electrostatic repulsion between the protons in the nucleus. So when the nucleus is too large (too many protons) The electrostatic repulsive forces between the protons is greater than the strong nuclear forces that are acting between quarks in neighboring nucleons. (The strong force is obviously strong in each individual nucleon, but is less strong between the quarks which are not in the same nucleon)

So when an atom needs to become more stable, it needs to reduce the size of its nucleus, and it can do this via alpha decay. Or it can reduce the repulsive forces present in the nucleus by undergoing beta plus decay, which changes an up quark to a down quark, and as a result turns a proton into a neutron.

(But Beta minus decay turns a neutron to proton, so isn't that particular decay a step towards instability?)

Would be grateful if someone could make this clear for me. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That description is fine.
LotusTK said:
(But Beta minus decay turns a neutron to proton, so isn't that particular decay a step towards instability?)
A nucleus has separate energy levels for protons and neutrons, and they get filled starting from the lowest energy levels. If you have too many neutrons compared to protons, you have to fill quite high-energetic neutron states, while proton states at lower energy stay unfilled. That makes beta- decay possible - a neutron converts to a proton, which releases energy (and an electron and an antineutrino).

Likes LotusTK
Thanks for the reply.

I didnt know protons and neutrons had energy levels, i thought that was only for electrons.

So would i be correct in saying that the two types of beta decays control the neutron proton ratio?

And by looking at a neutron to proton graph which shows "regions" of stability and instability, stable nuclei have more neutrons than protons, which makes sense because the strong nuclear force argument i mentioned above. But having too many neutrons will make the atom unstable as it will be vulnerable to beta minus decay. And the reason why you can have too many neutrons is because of those energy levels you mentioned? I suppose the same is also true for protons, but you can also say that its worse to have more protons in terms of instability because of the electrostatic repulsion between the protons.

Right.

Likes LotusTK

1. What is an unstable atom?

An unstable atom is an atom that has an imbalance between the forces that hold its nucleus together and the forces that push the nucleus apart. This imbalance causes the atom to decay, releasing energy and particles.

2. What makes an atom unstable?

An atom can become unstable due to a variety of factors, including having too many or too few neutrons, having an excess of energy, or being in an excited state. These imbalances can cause the nucleus to break apart, resulting in an unstable atom.

3. How do we know if an atom is unstable?

Scientists can determine if an atom is unstable by looking at its atomic number and mass number. If the atom has an atomic number greater than 83 or a mass number greater than 209, it is likely to be unstable and will eventually decay.

4. What happens when an atom becomes unstable?

When an atom becomes unstable, it will undergo radioactive decay, which is the process of breaking apart and releasing energy and particles. This decay can result in the formation of a different element or a more stable form of the same element.

5. Can we stabilize an unstable atom?

In some cases, scientists can use a process called nuclear transmutation to stabilize unstable atoms. This involves changing the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus through various methods, such as bombarding the atom with high-energy particles or using a nuclear reactor.