Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What makes it so hard to capture war criminals?

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1
    We say human rights are at the top of our agenda, yet, war crimes have occured and are often put to halt at a very slow pace. Why is this the case? Doesn't this show that international governace just isn't doing it or is it really tehre faultl

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2
    It is not on our agenda.

4. Nov 16, 2004 #3
    Has Bush ever actually said "Human rights are on the top of my agenda"? That'd be a shock if he had...

5. Nov 16, 2004 #4
    Let me rephrase. War crimes are infringing on human rights, why can't we ever get justice for the victims

6. Nov 16, 2004 #5
    I don't think justice is a high priority in our current government. The UN doesn't do a thing about it because they're a corrupt and highly dysfunctional. Justice only matters if you get press I guess...

7. Nov 16, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

xecute, do you have something specific in mind ? What war crimes are you talking about ?

The Nuremberg trial, for instance, happened almost immediately after the war ended - in fact, I'd say the Allies rushed it, instead of taking the time to get things right.

War crimes are very tricky to prove and while the excuse of "following orders" is not enough, it's often not a black or white situation.

Now your thread title asks about 'capturing' war criminals, and I don't see that this gets neglected, if there's diplomatic and military access.

8. Nov 16, 2004 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Criminals don't like being caught and don't make it easy for us.

9. Nov 17, 2004 #8
    well, let's just say.. milosevic

why did it take so long?
    we have a bunch of courts, why can't we prosecute them

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?