What makes the world go 'round

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed various theories on what makes the world go around, with some mentioning the sun's gravitational pull and others mentioning the concept of love. The main conclusion was that conservation of angular momentum and the Earth's formation and rotation are the primary factors in the Earth's rotation, while the sun's gravity plays a role in keeping the Earth in its orbit. Ultimately, the concept of love was not seen as a significant factor in the Earth's rotation.
Dagenais
Hmmm...

Some people say money, some say love.

I just want to double check. In short, what makes the world go around is basically the sun's gravitational pull which rotates the Earth and other planets around it right?

Or is love really the answer?

:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by kenikov
I just want to double check. In short, what makes the world go around is basically the sun's gravitational pull which rotates the Earth and other planets around it right?

Or is love really the answer?

:wink:

Conservation of angular momentum. When a mass is trapped in the gravitational field of another body, a set of equations from Johann Kepler tell us that cirtain stable orbits can result. When this happens, as is the case with our planet, the momentum that the planet had continues until something steels it away.

Of course, I am not aware of any proofs that show that conservation of angular momentum is not love.

Okay, so my Sun theory was somewhat right, right?
:frown:

Last edited:
Originally posted by kenikov
Okay, so my Sun theory was somewhat right, right?
:frown:

The sun only tries to pull us towards its center. We go around the sun because just as much as it pulls on us, we try to run away in a straight line. An elliptical orbit results. The Earth spins on its axis because as the Earth formed, the material was caught in the earth’s gravitational field; which made it orbit the earth. As this material crashed into the forming planet, the momentum of this motion is conserved as the rotation of the planet.

So, right. You were wrong on this one. That's OK though. Most of science is about being wrong many times, but then getting it right just once in a great while.

Hrm, thanks.

Hanging around here will make me look so much more knowledgeable in school.

IMO Truth, makes everything go!.

Actually, the original question was very ambiguous.

"What makes the world go round?" Is that referring to Earth's rotation on it's axis or it's orbit around the world?

The later question "whether sun's gravitational pull which rotates the Earth and other planets around it right?" doesn't make it any clearer!

I suppose it could be looked at as a two-part question. Momentum makes the Earth go (it was in motion when it formed, and nothing has happened to stop it), and the Sun's gravity makes that "going" round (rather than straight).

1. What is the force that makes the world go 'round?

The force that makes the world go 'round is gravity. It is the attractive force between two objects with mass, such as the Earth and the Sun. This force keeps the Earth in its orbit around the Sun and causes objects to fall towards the Earth's surface.

2. How does the Earth's rotation contribute to making the world go 'round?

The Earth's rotation on its axis also plays a role in making the world go 'round. As the Earth spins, it creates centrifugal force which balances out the force of gravity. This allows the Earth to maintain its orbit and prevents it from being pulled into the Sun.

3. Is there anything else besides gravity and rotation that makes the world go 'round?

In addition to gravity and rotation, the Earth's magnetic field also plays a role in making the world go 'round. The magnetic field helps protect the Earth from the solar wind and keeps the atmosphere in place, which is essential for life on Earth.

4. Does the world go 'round in a perfect circle?

No, the Earth's orbit around the Sun is not a perfect circle. It is actually an ellipse, with the Sun being slightly off-center. This is known as an eccentric orbit, and it is caused by the gravitational pull of other planets and objects in our solar system.

5. Can the world ever stop going 'round?

It is highly unlikely that the Earth will ever stop going 'round. The force of gravity will continue to keep the Earth in its orbit around the Sun, and the Earth's rotation will also continue as long as there is no significant external force acting upon it. However, there are cosmic events that could potentially disrupt the Earth's orbit or rotation, but they are very rare and not expected to happen in the near future.