Understanding Drinkable Water: A Guide for Teens

• Thread starter jedijess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, water is essential for human life and can be harmful when it contains poisons or pathogens.
jedijess
I have a chemistry assignment on what makes water drinkable or undrinkable due to certain chemicals. I couldn't find a thread that was already started to answer my question. I know all about water being the worlds solvent and why it's so important but I'm having troubles finding sites that put it into a teenagers jargen instead of mumbo jumbo scientist talk :)

Are there any good sites that have been hiding from me?

Also if anyone has completed an assignment like this or have a background in water quality and control that would be amazing if you could help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid the point of your assignment is to let you translate from the clear scientist talk into teenagers mumbo jumbo :wink:

Basically water is drinkable when it is not harmful, it is not harmful when it doesn't contain poisons and/or pathogens. Try to build on that.

--
methods

jedijess said:
I have a chemistry assignment on what makes water drinkable or undrinkable due to certain chemicals. I couldn't find a thread that was already started to answer my question. I know all about water being the worlds solvent and why it's so important but I'm having troubles finding sites that put it into a teenagers jargen instead of mumbo jumbo scientist talk :)

Are there any good sites that have been hiding from me?

Also if anyone has completed an assignment like this or have a background in water quality and control that would be amazing if you could help me out.

Think of water as being the medium for which all the reactions that take place in your body are carried out in, without which you would not last long. Unfortunately many chemicals and compounds that are toxic to us are also solube in water.

Last edited:
gabriels-horn said:
Unfortunately many chemicals and compounds that are toxic to us are also solube in water.
And lots of creatures that are bad for us also need water and so live in it quite happily

Thanks guys :P I found an amazing book at the library today explaining Australian drinking water standards. Hopefully I will be set, only another couple of thousand words to write now.

1. What impurities can make water undrinkable?

There are various impurities that can make water undrinkable, including bacteria, viruses, parasites, chemicals, and heavy metals.

2. How is water treated to make it safe for consumption?

Water can be treated through processes such as filtration, disinfection, and sedimentation to remove impurities and make it safe for consumption. Different treatment methods may be used depending on the specific impurities present in the water source.

3. What are the health risks associated with drinking contaminated water?

Drinking contaminated water can lead to a range of health risks, including gastrointestinal illness, skin irritation, and in severe cases, even death. It is important to always ensure that the water you drink is safe.

4. How do water sources become contaminated?

Water sources can become contaminated through various means, such as sewage or animal waste runoff, industrial pollution, or natural disasters. Contamination can also occur during the transportation or storage of water.

5. Can boiling water make it safe to drink?

In most cases, boiling water can effectively kill harmful bacteria and viruses, making it safe for consumption. However, boiling will not remove other types of impurities, such as chemicals or heavy metals, so it is important to properly treat and test water for safety before drinking.