1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What makes water drinkable?

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    I have a chemistry assignment on what makes water drinkable or undrinkable due to certain chemicals. I couldn't find a thread that was already started to answer my question. I know all about water being the worlds solvent and why it's so important but I'm having troubles finding sites that put it into a teenagers jargen instead of mumbo jumbo scientist talk :)

Are there any good sites that have been hiding from me?

Also if anyone has completed an assignment like this or have a background in water quality and control that would be amazing if you could help me out.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am afraid the point of your assignment is to let you translate from the clear scientist talk into teenagers mumbo jumbo :wink:

Basically water is drinkable when it is not harmful, it is not harmful when it doesn't contain poisons and/or pathogens. Try to build on that.

--
    methods

4. May 18, 2010 #3
    Think of water as being the medium for which all the reactions that take place in your body are carried out in, without which you would not last long. Unfortunately many chemicals and compounds that are toxic to us are also solube in water.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  5. May 18, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And lots of creatures that are bad for us also need water and so live in it quite happily

6. May 19, 2010 #5
    Thanks guys :P I found an amazing book at the library today explaining Australian drinking water standards. Hopefully I will be set, only another couple of thousand words to write now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook