What Makes You Prouder: Contributing or Benefiting?

• Thread starter Blackberg
  • Start date
In summary: He's always carrying a coffee cup and he's always busy yakking on the phone or doing something else that's not actually helping get the job done. Obviously the 2nd one, stealing other people's work. It wasn't easy becoming a high-intrigue manipulative shite. You have no idea what I had to go thru to get here.
Blackberg
Contributing work yourself or benefiting from a worker's contribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its pretty hard to be proud when you are simply the beneficiary of the work of others (although I suppose that some are; they say it takes all kinds).

Blackberg said:
Contributing work yourself or benefiting from a worker's contribution?
Some very large companies establish even a team of several members for the so called "value realization" (values of both products and contribution from every single employee). Do you know how such "contribution" level is measured ?
I don't like "symbolic" behaviors or gestures (i.e an employee looks hard-working because he comes on time and leaves late but actually he sits there chatting with others or reading news, something like this I call "symbolic")

Obviously the 2nd one, stealing other people's work. It wasn't easy becoming a high-intrigue manipulative shite. You have no idea what I had to go thru to get here.

//bad joke finished.

Why exactly are you asking about this? What happened?

I almost can't help but wonder if there's a language issue here.

Pride inherently implies satisfaction or general good feelings that derive from one's own accomplishments.

There are times when I take pride in the accomplishments of others. But that's when I see them succeed as a result of mentorship that I've given them. Examples might include pride in the artwork my children do, or pride when one of my students publishes a paper that I have mentored him through. But again that pride derives from my own actions. I don't feel that same sense of personal pride, if say, a student publishes a paper independent of our collaborative efforts (although I still feel hapy for that person).

Likes gracy
Medicol said:
Some very large companies establish even a team of several members for the so called "value realization" (values of both products and contribution from every single employee). Do you know how such "contribution" level is measured ?
I don't like "symbolic" behaviors or gestures (i.e an employee looks hard-working because he comes on time and leaves late but actually he sits there chatting with others or reading news, something like this I call "symbolic")

That reminds me of the coffee cup carrying character in the Dilbert comic strip.

What is the definition of "contributing" and "benefiting"?

"Contributing" refers to actively participating or giving something, such as time, resources, or effort, towards a cause or a person's success. "Benefiting" means receiving advantages or positive outcomes from something.

Is it better to contribute or to benefit?

Both contributing and benefiting can bring a sense of pride, but it ultimately depends on personal values and beliefs. Some may feel more fulfilled by contributing and making a positive impact, while others may take pride in reaping the rewards of their hard work and accomplishments.

How does contributing and benefiting relate to pride?

Contributing and benefiting can both bring a sense of pride, but for different reasons. Contributing can lead to a sense of pride in making a difference or helping others, while benefiting can bring pride in personal achievements or successes.

Can you contribute and benefit at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to contribute and benefit simultaneously. For example, volunteering at a charity event can bring a sense of pride in contributing and also provide personal satisfaction in helping others and being part of a community.

Which one is more important, contributing or benefiting?

Both contributing and benefiting are important in different ways. Contributing can help improve the lives of others and make a positive impact, while benefiting can lead to personal growth and success. It is up to individuals to determine what is most important to them and what brings them a sense of pride.