What makes your College Special!

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
Echo 6 Sierra said:
One is because it has the Stephen Hawking Chair of Physics something or other and NO cheerleaders only yell leaders...The second because it's the whopping hugest.
Isn't stephen hawking in cambridge?

Smurf said:
Isn't stephen hawking in cambridge?
Yes, but some rich guy named ?. Mitchell from Houston donated a butt-load of money to Texas A&M's Physics Dept and named the chair after him. Dr. H came to annoint it and install the first sitter and gave several talks to the department. What jacked me out of whack was that in the auditorium when he gave the speech for the "masses" the audience was half full of kids 10 and under. I had a nosebleed seat. :grumpy: That was 3 or 4 years ago.

What is special about my school? Well the graduate students in the physics department don't hang out at all outside of classes... it is very disturbing. I just transfered to Worcester Polytechnic Institute after two years of graduate school at UW-Milwaukee (to follow my advisory like a good little fellow...). At UWM, the grad students would party together , go to lunch together, get coffee together... here nothing. Nobody is ever around in their offices and if they are the doors are closed... very, very weird. I am very disappointed.

Please tell me this isn't special and people actually survive it: We will start on monday with a schedule of 20h lectures + 6h exercices per week in mathematics alone and they are calling it a 'soft start'! :eek:

In addition my university has a list of scientific achievements, of which I only can remember that they have set the world record of lowest temperature.