Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What makes your, of all identities, unique to yourself?

1. Aug 25, 2004 #1
    Do self-awareness, social relativity, predestination, adaptation, deity or other circumstances determine who we really seem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2004 #2
    as best we can 'guess' we are the sum of all our experiences. isn't that why there are so many disagreements about what is 'truth'. all of the influences you list plus those still unknown, filter our experience.

even two people with the same experience will have a different understanding of what it meant. each of us is unique and offer our personal contribution to/for the expansion of the universal consciousness.

we are unique and enhance our individuality through experience.

did i address your question?

olde drunk
  4. Aug 26, 2004 #3
    olde drunk,

Thanks for your expansion. Which, then, is more readily understood: the truth about ourselves or the truth about everything else - or are these inseparable?
  5. Aug 26, 2004 #4
    "Behind every door, there lies a million more..."

Words only have demonstrable meaning according to their function in a given context. Am I seperate and distinct from the air I breath, the mother who gave birth to me, the minds of the people who know? The answer just depends upon how you choose to look at the question and, evidently, each perspective has its own particular utility. Even the perspective of no-perspective. :wink: :eek: :rofl: :yuck: :frown: :cry: :zzz: :mad: :uhh: :surprise: :redface: :devil: :grumpy: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :approve: :smile: :confused: :shy: :tongue2: :tongue: :cool: :blush: :bugeye:
  6. Aug 26, 2004 #5

Without self-identity, would paradox exist?
  7. Aug 27, 2004 #6
    "...it is the choices we make, what we think, and what we do that is who we become."-Heraclitus
    Although these words seem simple it amazes me how true they are and were said over 2k years ago.
  8. Aug 27, 2004 #7
    ah, the circle widens. the more truth i have of myself the better i understand the truth about everything else.

now, i think it is hard to understand (accept) the truth about self. unfortunately, without knowing my truth the observations of everyting else can not be true. it is a subjective view and truth.

i will say this, it is more important to understand self then it is to try and define or find truth.

olde drunk
  9. Aug 28, 2004 #8
    Existence itself is demonstrably paradoxical.
  10. Aug 28, 2004 #9
    I wonder whether the finiteness of a universe can determine whether it allows paradoxes to exist?
  11. Aug 28, 2004 #10
    Formal logic is by definition finite, nonetheless it contains within it the seeds of paradox. All being finite does is supposidly limit the paradoxes.
  12. Sep 5, 2004 #11
    Originally posted by Olde Drunk : ' At the best i can guess we are all the sum of our experiences'

I recently saw a case of siamese twins. They have identical DNA , the same friends, the same family and have been through every experience together, yet they were still different people, and had entirely different personalities and ways of reacting to things. Can you explain this? They are completely identical, and should be the same, but arent. Thats one for you to all puzzle over.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?