Calculate Mass of Butane & CO2 for 1.5x10^3 kJ Heat

In summary, to produce 1.5x10^3 kJ of heat from butane, you will need 33 grams of butane. Of that, 176 g of CO2 is produced, due to the chemical reaction taking place.
FLgirl
1. What mass of butane in grams is necessary to produce 1.5 x 10^3 kJ of heat? What mass of CO2 is produced?

C4H10 + 13/2 O2 --> 4 CO2 + 5 H2O
Heat of reaction = -2658 kJ

3. Mass of butane = 33g

Mass of CO2 = 176.04g <-- This is wrong and the right answer is 99g CO2

How is that so.. :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org

I think the reaction is exothermic. What it gives you is the overall delta H. In order to find what amount of butane is necessary to produce 1.5x10^3 kJ of energy(exothermic since its being released) is just a stochiometry problem. Here is a start.

-1.5x10^3 kJ(58.12g/-2658 kJ)=33 grams of Butane.

Now figure out how much CO2 is released.

halo31 said:
I think the reaction is exothermic. What it gives you is the overall delta H. In order to find what amount of butane is necessary to produce 1.5x10^3 kJ of energy(exothermic since its being released) is just a stochiometry problem. Here is a start.

-1.5x10^3 kJ(58.12g/-2658 kJ)=33 grams of Butane.

Now figure out how much CO2 is released.

Thanks for answering... but why would you even need to know that to figure out how much CO2 was produced? Isn't it right there

176 g of CO2 is produced from 1 mole of butane. 33 g of butane is not 1 mole.

Borek said:

Oh right! How would I solve it then?

33 / 58.12 = 0.567
176 x 0.567 = 99.7

FLgirl said:
Oh right! How would I solve it then?

Best approach is to try first, ask questions later.

FLgirl said:
33 / 58.12 = 0.567
176 x 0.567 = 99.7

Wasn't that hard.

Borek said:
Best approach is to try first, ask questions later.

Wasn't that hard.

Not really but if people were more inclined to solve the problem as an example, it would make learning go a lot quicker.

FLgirl said:
Not really but if people were more inclined to solve the problem as an example, it would make learning go a lot quicker.

Actually - not. The more problems you try to solve by yourself, the better your general solving skills will be. Otherwise you will learn how to deal with hundreds of known problems, but you will be still helplessly lost whenever facing a new one.

Unfortunately that's the way schools work these days - they teach how to reproduce the solution, not how to solve the problem.

If some of us know to solve the problem at first sight it is not because we did similar problem in teh past, but because we know how to approach every problem. Believe it or not, but filling our template is a first step.

You are so knowledged. Tell me more tips to get good at chemistry.

How did you get 176g of CO?

Borek said:

I don't understand where the 176g of CO2 came from...

raychild said:
I don't understand where the 176g of CO2 came from...

Neither do I :wink:

176g of CO2 is produced when you burn 1 mole of butane. Question doesn't ask about 1 mole of butane, so 176g is not a correct answer. It is a correct answer to some other question.

Actually for every number you can construct a problem that the number will be a correct answer.

I'm lost on how to solve this problem still...I got the 33g of butane but am not sure how to get to the 99g of CO2.

And I agree with you about working problems out on our own first in order to learn but I have been looking at this one for way too long!

Phew, thank you! I appreciate your help. It all makes sense now :)

1. How do you calculate the mass of butane and CO2 for a given amount of heat?

To calculate the mass of butane and CO2 for a specific amount of heat, we need to use the heat of combustion values for butane and CO2. The heat of combustion for butane is 2878 kJ/mol and for CO2 is -393.5 kJ/mol. We can then use the equation Q = nΔH to calculate the moles of butane and CO2 produced, and then use the molar mass of each compound to convert to mass.

2. What is the significance of the given heat value of 1.5x10^3 kJ?

The given heat value of 1.5x10^3 kJ represents the amount of energy released during the combustion of butane. This value is important in determining the amount of reactants needed to produce this amount of heat, as well as understanding the efficiency of the reaction.

3. How does the mass of butane and CO2 produced differ from the given heat value?

The mass of butane and CO2 produced will be different from the given heat value because some of the energy released during combustion will be lost to the surroundings as heat. This means that the actual mass of butane and CO2 produced will be slightly less than the calculated value based on the given heat value.

4. Can the mass of butane and CO2 produced be manipulated by changing the heat value?

Yes, the mass of butane and CO2 produced can be manipulated by changing the heat value. This is because the amount of energy released during combustion is directly proportional to the amount of butane and CO2 produced. Therefore, a higher heat value will result in a greater mass of butane and CO2 produced, and vice versa.

5. How can the calculated mass of butane and CO2 be verified experimentally?

The calculated mass of butane and CO2 can be verified experimentally by conducting a combustion reaction and measuring the mass of butane and CO2 produced. This can be done using a calorimeter or by measuring the change in mass of the reaction vessel. The experimental values can then be compared to the calculated values to ensure accuracy.