1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Math Is Useful

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1
    As a chemical engineering major, how far into math should I go. We are required to do calc 1-3 and elementary differential equations. But upon speaking to my professor I was told that I might find more differential equations classes, linear algebra and possibly some analysis class to be useful. What is the opinion of those people who are already engineers or who simply know. How far into math should I go?

Just as a point I have no aversion to math and am not trying to find a cutoff where math is useless because all math I am sure is somewhat useful, but what math courses would I find to be immensely useful.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2
    My guess is your professor knows best. :) I mean, he had to do it, so he has 1st hand experience.

PL

4. Apr 14, 2005 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

as a general rule, math you understand is more useful than math you didn't learn.

5. Apr 14, 2005 #4
    My professor is a math PhD though not an engineer so I was hoping some engineers might have some information.

6. Apr 15, 2005 #5
    depands on what job u want.
    although i am in high school, but i still can see how useful linear algebra can be in chemistry. About D.E, if you are not struggling in math, you should take it. D.E is invented for science field. I believe you know how useful D.E can be when you dual with related rate in chemistry.

and as mathwonk said, you will always regret for what you didnt learn later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?