What's the formula for finding the shortest distance between two points in 3D?

• Thread starter Patrick Kale
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about finding the shortest distance between two points in 3D using geometry knowledge, specifically by imagining the points as vertices of a right triangle. The formula for finding the distance was also mentioned, as well as other possible methods such as using Pythagorean's theorem or a variational approach. The conversation ended with a challenge to find the distance formula for points in higher dimensions.
Patrick Kale
Hi,

Given the question of finding the shortest distance between two points in 3D (xyz coordinates for each point), I was able to find the distance by basically imagining the given points as the vertices of a right triangle. Really easy problem to you guys but it was like a new thing to me and I used only my geometry knowledge instead of using a formula I did not know.

So basically I am just happy that I did this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Without trying to work through the description myself, the distance formula would at least give the actual size between the two points in three dimensions.

Patrick Kale said:
Hi,

Given the question of finding the shortest distance between two points in 3D (xyz coordinates for each point), I was able to find the distance by basically imagining the given points as the vertices of a right triangle. Really easy problem to you guys but it was like a new thing to me and I used only my geometry knowledge instead of using a formula I did not know.

So basically I am just happy that I did this.

I'd call it an application of Pythagoras' theorem.

Isn't this pretty much the only way of finding the distance between two points in 3D? Normally you would just use an extension of pythagorean's theorem.

Thanks for the replies guys. Application of Pythagorean's theorem is the consensus. I will do another attempt to find the distance formula for two xyz 3d points myself. I saw the formula after answering the first question then tried one time to make it myself but did not succeed.

Hi Patrick,

Good job on figuring this out for yourself. A lot of the mathematicians here will tell you that trying to figure things like this out on your own is a great way to learn.

I encourage you to keep at it.

tahayassen said:
Isn't this pretty much the only way of finding the distance between two points in 3D? Normally you would just use an extension of pythagorean's theorem.
You can also do it using a variational approach which I think is conceptually more clear since it specifically selects the path with the smallest length from all possible paths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance#Variational_formulation_of_distance

Patrick Kale said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Application of Pythagorean's theorem is the consensus. I will do another attempt to find the distance formula for two xyz 3d points myself. I saw the formula after answering the first question then tried one time to make it myself but did not succeed.

Very well done man!

So, you have the formula for the distance of two points in 1D, in 2D and in 3D. Can you guess what the formula for the distance is in 4D, 5D?? Or in general: in n dimensions??

I produced the formula for the shortest distance between two points in the xy plane. It was a fun exercise. Here is a picture of the work I did:

http://postimage.org/image/b7tz5pvnp/full/

Users Diffy and micromass, thank you! User micromass, that seems like an interesting question. I will first do the attempt at the formula of distance between two points in the xyz plane and maybe I will be able to picture, or guess, an idea for the 4d and etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of learning math skills?

Math skills are essential for understanding and solving real-world problems, as well as building critical thinking and analytical skills. They are also important for pursuing careers in fields such as science, engineering, finance, and technology.

2. What are some examples of math skills?

Some examples of math skills include basic arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), algebra, geometry, statistics, and calculus. Other important skills include problem-solving, logical reasoning, and data analysis.

3. How can I improve my math skills?

There are several ways to improve math skills, including practicing regularly, seeking help from a teacher or tutor, using online resources and educational apps, and applying math concepts to real-life situations. Consistency and persistence are key in developing and improving math skills.

4. What are the benefits of having strong math skills?

Having strong math skills can lead to better job opportunities, higher salaries, and a deeper understanding of the world around us. It can also improve problem-solving abilities and critical thinking skills, which are valuable in any career or academic pursuit.

5. Are math skills important for everyday life?

Yes, math skills are essential for everyday life. From calculating a budget and understanding measurements to reading graphs and making informed decisions, math skills are necessary for functioning in society and making informed choices.