The Physics Papers I Can Understand: Tips for Limited Math Knowledge

In summary: It certainly describes what I remember. Physics majors learned much appropriate math in condensed, not so rigorous, form as part of physics courses, especially things like calculus of variations, differential equations, and linear algebra. Of particular importance are differential equations and linear algebra, as these are the two most common topics in introductory physics courses. Many graduate schools still require one or more of these courses for a physics degree, though there are many exceptions. It remains the most common approach in a first GR course, so far as I know - all the special math is covered in the physics course. I was considered very unusual for systematically going through a monograph on calculus variations to get a more complete understanding (necessary versus sufficient conditions for a extremum, local versus global extrem
dipta
I want to understand most physics papers, but I don't have much time to learn every Math subject.

When I was in college, I only took Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Statistics. I can't understand many Physics papers that interest me.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the subject(s) of the papers that interest you? This will help narrow down the math that will be most relevant.

dipta said:
but I don't have much time
Make time
dipta said:
What Math subject do you recommend
in college, I only took Calculus, Linear Algebra, and
I recommend Calculus and Linear Algebra at university level - someething most unversities have in their curriculum for every physics student

A common list of math courses required for BS degrees in Physics (at least in the US) is:

Calc 1, Calc 2, Calc 3, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra

Most BS programs in Physics also require a course something like Mathematical Methods in Physics taught in the Physics department that includes a number of important things for Physics majors.

Some schools require or recommend something that a numerical methods course.

But there is a lot of partial differential equations, vector calculus, and statistics left for students to learn on the fly in their Quantum Mechanics, E&M, and Statistical Mechanics courses, and a bit (or more) calculus of variations needed to be learned on the fly in Classical Mechanics courses.

It's not a bad idea for most physics majors to pick up another upper level math course or two depending on their interests and how much other math is included in the Physics courses required for graduation. But since the more valuable math courses tend to vary with student interests, many departments leave these choices up to the students rather than requiring the same courses for every major.

Likes PAllen
Dr. Courtney said:
a lot of partial differential equations, vector calculus, and statistics left for students to learn on the fly in their Quantum Mechanics, E&M, and Statistical Mechanics courses, and a bit (or more) calculus of variations needed to be learned on the fly in Classical Mechanics courses.

Flies like that need more advanced brains. The paragraph which came next in your post was much better. I guess the smarter students can both study and fly at the same time.

symbolipoint said:
Flies like that need more advanced brains. The paragraph which came next in your post was much better. I guess the smarter students can both study and fly at the same time.

I think I accurately described what is expected of Physics majors. If students prefer not to learn all those math subjects on the fly while taking the Physics courses in which they are included, then they need to take some intentional steps (such as taking a course beforehand or self-study) to get ahead of the curve.

Dr. Courtney said:
I think I accurately described what is expected of Physics majors. If students prefer not to learn all those math subjects on the fly while taking the Physics courses in which they are included, then they need to take some intentional steps (such as taking a course beforehand or self-study) to get ahead of the curve.
In other words, preparation before study is very helpful. The kind of more forward planning you are describing is something that graduate students probably do, in order that they ensure greater likelihood of success.

Dr. Courtney said:
It certainly describes what I remember. Physics majors learned much appropriate math in condensed, not so rigorous, form as part of physics courses, especially things like calculus of variations, This remains the most common approach in a first GR course, so far as I know - all the special math is covered in the physics course. I was considered very unusual for systematically going through a monograph on calculus variations to get a more complete understanding (necessary versus sufficient conditions for a extremum, local versus global extremum conditions, conjugate points, etc. not covered in the physics version of the topic for classical mechanics). So far as I knew, there was no undergraduate math department course that covered this where I was.

1. What is the purpose of "The Physics Papers I Can Understand"?

The purpose of "The Physics Papers I Can Understand" is to provide tips and strategies for individuals with limited math knowledge to better understand and engage with physics concepts. It aims to make physics more accessible and less intimidating for those who may struggle with the mathematical aspects of the subject.

2. Who can benefit from reading "The Physics Papers I Can Understand"?

Anyone with limited math knowledge who is interested in learning about physics can benefit from reading "The Physics Papers I Can Understand". This may include students, educators, or individuals with a general interest in science.

3. How can "The Physics Papers I Can Understand" help me if I struggle with math?

"The Physics Papers I Can Understand" provides practical tips and explanations for understanding physics concepts without relying heavily on mathematical equations. It offers alternative ways of thinking about and visualizing physics concepts, making them more accessible and easier to grasp for those who struggle with math.

4. Is "The Physics Papers I Can Understand" only for beginners?

No, "The Physics Papers I Can Understand" can be beneficial for individuals at any level of understanding in physics. While it may be particularly helpful for beginners, it can also offer new perspectives and approaches for those with more advanced knowledge.

5. Can reading "The Physics Papers I Can Understand" replace learning math for understanding physics?

No, "The Physics Papers I Can Understand" is not intended to replace learning math for understanding physics. It is meant to supplement and enhance one's understanding of physics by providing alternative ways of thinking about and approaching the subject. A basic understanding of math is still necessary for a complete understanding of physics concepts.