What math to take?

Hello!

I am an undergraduate physics major with a minor in mathematics. I'm very interested in accelerator physics and would like to pursue a PhD in it eventually. However, I am not sure what math classes would be best to take for this. For our math minor, we can take any five upper division math classes and I'm not sure which ones would be best for this. I think linear algebra would be important but beyond that I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Answers and Replies

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It might help to identify which courses you have under your belt or are currently taking, as well as some of the potential courses you have available to you.

Sure, Ive taken all the lower division courses (differential equations, linear algebra, and calculus) and now I'm looking at upper division linear algebra, and algebra, mainly. Below is a link to all math classes, I can take any numbered from 110 to 199.

https://www.math.ucla.edu/ugrad/courses

What is covered by various math courses differs surprisingly between universities, so I'd talk to someone experienced in accelerator physics at UCLA to get their opinion. There is no shortage of these people there!