Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What mechanism is this?

  1. Jan 19, 2010 #1

    I was just wondering what kind of mechanism is used in this video

    It converts the up and down movement into rotational movement, and it all seems very compact and smooth.

  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2
    Its worth noting that the reciprocating motion is the powered motion and the rotational movement is the output
  4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    It says, its a Stirling engine, just a multi cylindered version.
    The acutal moving parts are simply a crank-slider mechanism.

    I'm assuming this wasn't what you wanted from an answer, could you clarify exactly what it is you wanted to know please?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  5. Jan 19, 2010 #4
    Hi, i know what engine it is, im after the mechanism that converts the reciprocating motion into the rotational movement of the flywheel at the top.

    I dont think a crank and slider mechanism is what is used, since the reciprocation motion is on the y axis, and the rotation movement is pivoting on the y axis, not the x axis.
  6. Jan 19, 2010 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Too bad you can't see the mechanism. Looks to me like a swash plate that's pushing the pistons, not the other way around.

    Basically, it has a rotating plate that's set off at an angle from the central axis. As it goes around, the pistons get pushed in and then come back out as the sloped plate surface goes past each piston. There's nothing to pull the piston back out like a conventional crankshaft machine, so the pistons are generally spring loaded.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Jan 19, 2010 #6
    Ah I see, that's quite interesting actually. Do you think a circular cam with a wave cut into its circumference and then attached to the cylinders via rollers would also be viable? It would mean I wouldnt have to use springs to push the pistons back down.
  8. Jan 19, 2010 #7


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    I don't see any reason that wouldn't work.
    Just for reference to the other web site you have the question at:
    http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=263186&page=1 [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Jan 24, 2010 #8
    Isn't this just a simple barrel cam (cylindrical cam)?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook