What minimum speed v is required to keep the ball moving in a circle?

In summary, the conversation involved someone seeking help with a problem involving angles and minimum velocity, while another person clarified that the horizontal component of the velocity is irrelevant and provided steps for solving the problem using conservation of energy. The conversation then moved on to finding the work done by gravity and determining the magnitude of the vertical component of the velocity vector at a specific point.
pringless
got it hehe..
can someone check a post down and help me with that problem. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the question.
and use the angle theta measured with respect to the vertical which is 66.1 degrees.
What does this mean? Where did 66.1 degrees come from? What significance does it have? How am I supposed to "use" it?"
What minimum speed v is required to keep the ball moving in a circle?
But the problem already gives the velocity at the top of the circle -- so you can solve easily for the velocity at any other part of the circle. What minimum velocity is it asking about?

- Warren

mm sorry, the angle was for another part of the problem. i got it by using the formula mv^2/r = mg and solving for v.

but this problem:
A particle of mass .349kg is shot from a point P, at height L = 97 m, with an inital velocity v having a horizontal component of v_x = 19.5 m/s. The particle rises to a maximum height of h = 22.5 m above P. Using conservation of energy, determine the vertical component of v at the inital position P.

im not sure how to get components with energy

Originally posted by pringless

A particle of mass .349kg is shot from a point P, at height L = 97 m, with an inital velocity v having a horizontal component of v_x = 19.5 m/s. The particle rises to a maximum height of h = 22.5 m above P. Using conservation of energy, determine the vertical component of v at the inital position P.
The horizontal and vertical motions are independent. For this problem, just completely ignore the horizontal component. The 19.5 m/s is just a red herring!

Gravity only "works" vertically -- in other words, the horizontal position of the particle doesn't have anything to do with the particle's gravitational potential energy. The only thing that matters for gravity is its vertical position.

The particle moved 22.5 m upwards, trading all of its initial vertical kinetic energy for gravitational potential energy. The original vertical kinetic energy was [itex]K = (1/2) m v_{iy}^2[/itex]. The final gravitational potential energy of the particle is [itex]m g y[/itex]. Since the particle traded all of its vertical kinetic energy for gravitational potential, the two energies are equal:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} m v_{iy}^2 = m g y[/tex]

[tex]v = \sqrt{2 g y}[/tex]

Does this make sense? Note that this is exactly the velocity that the particle would have if it FELL 22.5 meters! It's the same problem, just going up instead of down. As you probably know, if you throw a ball upwards with some velocity v, it comes down again with the same velocity v.

- Warren

thanks warren... i was trying to use the horizontal component they gave me to solve the problem. oops.

now i have to find thework done by the gravitational force on the particle during its motion to a point B, which is at the end of the parabolic motion located L + h distance down.

to find the work done by the graviational force on the particle would i just be using mgh but with the total distance of L + h now?

Originally posted by pringless
to find the work done by the graviational force on the particle would i just be using mgh but with the total distance of L + h now?
If you're referring to the work done from the highest point in its motion, yes.

The work done on the particle by gravity in moving from height A to height B is mg(A-B).

- Warren

how would i find the magnitude of the vertical component of the velocity vector when the particle hits point B

The gravitational potential energy lost = the vertical kinetic energy gained. Exactly as in the last problem.

- Warren

so PE_initial = KE_final

mgh = .5mv^2

v = sqrroot(2gh), h = L = 97 right?

Yes, but I'm not sure where you got h = L = 97 m. I thought the problem said h = 22.5 m.

- Warren

its one of those problems where the projectile motion parabola is extended past the ground, so its all the way down which is what L = 97 in the problem is refereing to

1. What is the formula for calculating the minimum speed required to keep a ball moving in a circle?

The minimum speed required to keep a ball moving in a circle can be calculated using the formula v = √(r*g), where v is the minimum speed, r is the radius of the circle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the radius of the circle affect the minimum speed required to keep the ball moving?

The minimum speed required to keep a ball moving in a circle is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the minimum speed also increases. This is because a larger radius means a longer distance to travel in the same amount of time, requiring a higher speed.

3. Can the minimum speed required to keep a ball moving in a circle be less than the speed of light?

Yes, the minimum speed required to keep a ball moving in a circle is usually much lower than the speed of light. In most cases, it is within the range of human capabilities. However, if the radius of the circle is extremely small, the minimum speed required may approach the speed of light.

4. How does the mass of the ball affect the minimum speed required to keep it moving in a circle?

The mass of the ball does not directly affect the minimum speed required to keep it moving in a circle. However, a heavier ball may require a higher speed to overcome the force of gravity and maintain a circular motion.

5. What happens if the minimum required speed is not maintained?

If the minimum required speed to keep a ball moving in a circle is not maintained, the ball will deviate from its circular path and either move outward or inward. This is due to the balance between the centripetal force (provided by the minimum speed) and the centrifugal force (pulling the ball away from the center of the circle).