What moment would you like to relive before you die?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary: The Time Machine.In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of reliving a past moment and what that moment might be. Some participants share specific moments in their lives they would like to relive, such as a significant encounter or a moment of self-awareness. Others reflect on the concept of reliving moments and the significance it holds. The conversation also touches on the idea of self-identity and the role it plays in the desire to relive past moments. Overall, the conversation explores the complexities and emotions surrounding the idea of reliving a moment from the past.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I heard this and thought it was an interesting question.

I need to think about that one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can it be someone else's life?

Evo said:
Can it be someone else's life?

:rofl: That would be my choice!

My future moment involving my future family :biggrin:

I have thought about reliving someone's else life; problem is that everyone has deficiencies and I am willing to accept someone's else weaknesses more than mine. I believe I have shaped myself to something I am proud of and weaknesses are part of what I am.

Birth.

I have one (perhaps another), but I can't describe it without risking an infraction. It was life-changing, though, and involved an older girl who was very close to me. Have you (guys) been "initiated" by some lady that you adored and worshiped when you were a kid?

Older cousins don't always play the same peer/age games that your class-mates do.

All of them, in sequential order. :)

turbo-1 said:
I have one (perhaps another), but I can't describe it without risking an infraction. It was life-changing, though, and involved an older girl who was very close to me. Have you (guys) been "initiated" by some lady that you adored and worshiped when you were a kid?

Older cousins don't always play the same peer/age games that your class-mates do.

Ah, Mrs Robinson. :biggrin:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, <clears throat> no comment.

drankin said:
All of them, in sequential order. :)

I didn't see an "s" on the end of that word. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Ah, Mrs Robinson. :biggrin:
Much younger and cuter, and salivated-over by the neighborhood-boys when she stayed with us. A couple of years difference can be pretty impressive to a kid.

Ivan Seeking said:
I didn't see an "s" on the end of that word. :biggrin:

Doh!

So anyone who know's me knows I studied Jewish mysticism formally.
My answer is, after many years already in training, I accidently saw an indication of the direction in which to look to see nothing.
I jumped up and ran to the other side of the living room my heart pounding out of my chest. It was the single most frightening thing I had ever seen.

Second would be a time a dying patient looked at me with such love from some place I had never imagined, my knees went out from under me and I fell on the ground.

Third would be the first time I saw This Is It, MJ. I love him.

Ivan Seeking said:

Thanks for making me recall some perplexing, cathartic, revealing, embarrassing, and also truly wonderful and uplifting moments in my life. Sometimes I think that the moments I would like to relive are 'eureka moments', or 'triumphal moments'. Then again, I have to think that the best moments are those times when I experienced a quiet connection with someone I trusted.

But I guess that the very best moment was when I first realized that I'm not important or special, that I'm part of something that I can't pretend to understand.

Giving birth to my daughter, I think. Maybe not the whole 28 hours!

Ivan Seeking said:

I'd like to relive the moment in which I'm given time to decide which moment to relive. With proper recursion, I should be immortal (if not bored).

Ivan Seeking said:

A particular sex encounter form my past.

FlexGunship said:
I'd like to relive the moment in which I'm given time to decide which moment to relive. With proper recursion, I should be immortal (if not bored).

I think you might prefer to be bored given that some folks think something involved a "sex encounter."

None, i was born old and world weary.

Oh! What moment would I like to relive before I die!

Out of sincere respect for someone who was perhaps the best friend I ever had, I will simply remember her for the wonderful person she was and probably always will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
The moment that I first became self-aware.

I don't think it matters does it? I mean is not like reliving any moment would save you from the finality of life.

Marco12 said:
I don't think it matters does it? I mean is not like reliving any moment would save you from the finality of life.

It would matter as much as any other moment.

Ivan Seeking said:
The moment that I first became self-aware.

Do you recall that ? How can you be aware of the moment in which you became aware of your self identity?

Last edited:
mugaliens said:
I think you might prefer to be bored given that some folks think something involved a "sex encounter."

Said the man obsessed with a woman :P

Last edited:
DanP said:
Do you recall that ? How can you be aware of the moment in which you became aware of your self identity?

I didn't say I remember it. :smile:

Question about the question:

Is the question about reliving this moment for the sake of reliving it? Or about reliving this moment for the sake of possibly changing it?

Presumably the former.

DaveC426913 said:
Question about the question:

Is the question about reliving this moment for the sake of reliving it? Or about reliving this moment for the sake of possibly changing it?

Presumably the former.

I stole the question from Piers Morgan. But this is GD, so it means whatever you think it means. :biggrin:

My interpretation was that he meant relive, not redo.

Spring 1980, I would turn left.

DanP said:

I haven't a clue as to when I "first" became self-aware. I have memories dating back to age 0. They're as real and surprising as the expression on my Mom's face when I describe the room in which my diaper was changed!

Life just is. I am perplexed when friends tell me they can't recall anything earlier than third grade. My son can't recall his years in Korea, yet he was the same age I was when I was in Italy, and I remember pretty dang well everything.

Perhaps it's time for another thread...

wolram said:
None, i was born old and world weary.

:rofl:

The time my best friend and I rode our bicycles to the town square to buy ice cream. This was during a semester abroad in Germany.

1. What is the significance of reliving a moment before I die?

Reliving a moment before you die allows you to reflect on your life and create a sense of closure. It can also bring a sense of nostalgia and appreciation for the memories you have made.

2. Can reliving a moment before I die change my perspective on life?

Yes, reliving a moment before you die can change your perspective on life. It can help you gain a new understanding or appreciation for a past experience and provide insight into your personal growth and development.

3. Is it possible to relive a moment in a different way than it originally happened?

Yes, it is possible to relive a moment in a different way through visualization or imagination. However, the experience may not be exactly the same as the original moment.

4. Can reliving a moment before I die bring closure to unresolved issues?

Reliving a moment before you die can bring closure to unresolved issues by allowing you to reflect on past events and come to terms with them. It can also provide an opportunity for forgiveness and reconciliation.

5. How do I choose which moment to relive before I die?

Choosing which moment to relive before you die is a personal decision. It could be a significant event, a happy memory, or a moment that holds special meaning to you. It is important to choose a moment that brings you joy and peace.