Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What motivates you in life?

1. May 28, 2009 #1
    I used to be really motivated because I had bad self esteem (I still do but not as bad). I used to think that I'm not good enough as a person and that motivated me to do a lot of things such as going to the gym, learning how to fix cars, surfs, building things etc. I remember working out 6 days a week, 2 hour per session and gained about 20lbs of muscle. Basically I felt like I have no value so I try to make up for it by learning different things, trying to "out do" and impress other people.

Over the last year, my self esteem got a lot better due to being awareness of my problem and reading self help books. Now that I'm comfortable with myself, sometime I don't see reasons to do anything. Since I'm comfortable with myself, why work out to impress the chicks :) ? Why do anything since I'm satisfied with who I am? Because of this sometime I just sit around and waste time. Being content with myself has the side effect of not being motivated to do things.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2009 #2
    I think it's all about doing what you like, I haven't really found out what I love to do so I laze around most of the time, unfortunately.

4. May 28, 2009 #3
    Because having muscles and being a douche bag is all they respond to.

My motivation is life is always striving to achieve perfektion. Sometimes I get a little carried away and end up doing more harm than good. For example working every single day of the week studying and learning as much as I can until my physical health starts to suffer. Sometimes I think its good just to sit around be and lazy. Being lazy can be a good thing as long as its in moderation.

5. May 28, 2009 #4
    Are u Borg? (star trek joke)

6. May 28, 2009 #5
    It's fun.

7. May 28, 2009 #6
    Curiosity and the pleasure of finding things out.

In particular, I am always looking for ways to become more sophisticated.

8. May 28, 2009 #7
    Just having moments to relax and enjoy myself is all that really motivates me.
    I often find that the impediments to my getting anywhere and taking care of my various life problems are out of my control. I usually just have to wait which drives me nuts so I particularly value being able to relax and forget about my problems for a while.

9. May 28, 2009 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You surely didn't perfect kissing women... I can tell.

10. May 29, 2009 #9
    controlled greed.
    (I am expecting to be better each day/month/year end than I was last day/month/year)
    Right now, I have more things to look into the future if I choose to be more materialistic.

11. May 29, 2009 #10
    I don't think he's looking after girls (in don't see it in his criteria for perfection).

12. May 29, 2009 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Does this include with regard to spelling? :tongue:
    I, alas, am totally devoid of motivation. Existence is sufficient for me.

13. May 29, 2009 #12
    Mostly my advisor motivates me. The guy who writes my paycheck every month tends to have a good deal of sway over how I spend my time.

14. May 29, 2009 #13
    What motivates me personally is accomplishments. I think it works for everyone. Those accomplishments are determined by the individual.

Sometimes you have to put yourself in an uncomfortable situation in order become motivated.

I think should apply to welfare as well. Take care of those who need help but make it uncomfortable enough that they are motivated to get off the assistance on their own.

15. May 29, 2009 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, that'll teach you never to read self-help books again. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, huh? Would it help if we berate your mercilessly until you lose all your self-esteem again so you're motivated to be productive again? :biggrin:

16. May 29, 2009 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'm motivated by entropy - I tend toward a higher or lower state of disorder - depending on one's perspective. I knew about chaos before it was a theory. :biggrin:

Otherwise I'm self-motivated.

17. May 29, 2009 #16
    Nothing motivates me in life. I often have suicidal tendencies.

It's all boring until you look up at the night sky and go "Whoa...."

I need to look up at the night sky more. There is a observatory just a couple of miles down the road from me that I have not even visited.

Again, motivation by what?

Nothing.

18. May 30, 2009 #17
    Tony Robbins Personal Power II let me define what exactly I wanted to do & have and why. By taking small steps every day, I can better myself and my life. Also, I am a list maker. It helps me keep track of what needs done in a concrete fashion. Writing it on paper helps to get it off my mind. By revisiting the goals I set, and the lists, I have a clear idea of where to focus my efforts.

19. May 30, 2009 #18
    For me, my reasons for living to find out why in the world do I exist(both me and the concept of reality). Therefore, I have immersed myself in the subjects of Philosophy, Theology, Maths, Physics, and Logic.

However, I am not a robot, and I do many things to experience the simple pleasures of life. Perhaps, this is my imperfection.

20. Jun 1, 2009 #19
    Dr. Wayne Dyer is on PBS tonight. The title of his talk is "No Excuses." Perhaps you can check it out. Hope it helps.

21. Jun 1, 2009 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

- Wayne Dyer
    http://www.drwaynedyer.com/articles/you-are-god

This is not motivational speech. This is a religion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook