Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Music Do You Listen To?

1. Oct 18, 2003 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Right now i'm listening to indie groups such as E.S. Posthumus and Blue Man Group with a mix of new age from David Arkenstone and soundtrack music from gladiator and lord of the rings.

If anyone can recommend good avant-garde / indie experimental, please post the person or group's name. I'm always interested in finding new types music other then whats played on the radio.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2003 #2
    I saw Blue Man Group at the Astor Place Theater a few years ago. Amazing performance!

Have you ever heard Symphony X? I like their cd "V" a lot. [But it's hard to do physics while listening to this, as I "rediscovered" a while ago after posting a completely stupid reply to someone's homework question -- subsequently deleted ].

Since you reminded me of them I just took a look at their website & I see that they are performing at a place called Melkveg in Amsterdam on Oct. 21. Maybe Monique can check them out for you.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  4. Oct 18, 2003 #3
    If you're into piano, I recommend robert miles' children.

I've run the gamut from GNR,OZZY, and metallica to green day, STP, to billy joel. But lately I've aquired a taste for fusion jazz. Very upbeat, yet mellow

5. Oct 18, 2003 #4
    The Pixies, The Doors, The Misfits, AFI, Refused, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, etc.

6. Oct 18, 2003 #5
    I haven't headr much new music in a long time...I would recommend Thursday's newest CD, though...some seriously intense stuff...

7. Oct 19, 2003 #6
    If you like acoustic guitar, give a listen to http://www.anetstation.com
    out of Antarctica, of all places! There's some really nice music there.

Here's two that you may not have come across:
    Have you heard "Anugraha" by Aghora, and "Reflections" by Gordian Knot? Definitely try to find them. I'm pretty sure you'll like them. (Nothing at all like the Antarctica stuff.)

It's not new, but it might qualify as "experimental": if you haven't listened to all of Metallica's S&M CD, do. Same songs appeared on other CD's, but definitely not the same sound. Metallica + Michael Kamen & the SF Symphony make this without doubt one of the best Heavy Metal recordings of all time (even if Lars IS a greedy sob).

And I have to say, no matter how much I want to dislike him, every time I hear Eminem I like what I'm hearing.

8. Oct 19, 2003 #7

Cod

For the most part, I listen to country/bluegrass music. Sometimes I'll jam to classic rock (Zeppelin, Skynyrd, etc.) and the oldies.

9. Oct 19, 2003 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like Alanis Morissette a LOT because of her lyrics, then I like the sound of the Cranberries, Enya can be good background music and Hindi movie soundtracks for just about anytime.

I wonder though: what exactly is meant with Indie?

10. Oct 19, 2003 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Indie = Independent

11. Oct 19, 2003 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh, things all make sense now

12. Oct 19, 2003 #11
    Hindi: OK
    Indie: OK

But Cranberries

How can you stand that whining???

13. Oct 19, 2003 #12
    gnome symphony x is one of my favorites. I saw them in chicago last year and in a month they are coming to milwaukee! I a huge metal fan, especialy if they have classical roots. You must get thier newest album called the odyssey, it blows all the other out of the water. By far thier best work.

14. Oct 19, 2003 #13
    Bach, mostly The Goldberg Variations (I have about 20 different recordings of this). Also: The Well-Tempered Clavier (in general I enjoy book 2 more than book 1). The English Suites, The French Suites, the bigger, more energetic pieces for organ, and the Brandenbergs. I don't "get" the Cantatas, Masses, and Orgelbuchlein.

My taste in pop is all old stuff: Police + Sting, The B-52s, Steely Dan, Beach Boys, Beatles, REM, and Kate Bush. I like alot of individual songs by newer people but not necessarily the rest of their stuff.

15. Oct 19, 2003 #14
    I think I'll stick with Mozart, Beethoven (classical), some oldies and a bit of classic rock.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  16. Oct 19, 2003 #15

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the 60's the best, both for the rock and the soul. On the one hand, you've got the Beatles, the Stones, Cream, Hendrix and Zeppelin (just starting out then), and on the other you've got the Temps, the Tops, James Brown, and Aretha. It really was an incomparable decade of music, IMO.

I must say though that I cannot stand the Grateful Dead.

17. Oct 19, 2003 #16
    Hey Tom, what about the Byrds, Doors, Dylan, Creedence, Crosby,Stills, etal, Pink Floyd?

18. Oct 19, 2003 #17

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Never got into the Byrds or Floyd. I think the Doors are ok, but I don't collect their albums. That 2-CD "best of" set is good enough for any Doors fix I might have. I do like Dylan and CSN, and I love Creedence.

19. Oct 19, 2003 #18

Doc

This comes from a guy who like what he hears when he listens to eminem?

20. Oct 20, 2003 #19

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like lots of rocky stuff but I'll keep it to my top 10s--

older stuff: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Stones, Doors, Grateful Dead (sorry Tom ), Neil Young, King Crimson

newer stuff: Radiohead, The Verve, White Stripes, My Bloody Valentine, sub.bionic, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Soundgarden, Talking Heads, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana

Basically I like straight up good rock but I also love the more ambient/darker stuff when I'm in the right mood.

21. Oct 20, 2003 #20
    Fu Manchu, Kyuss, Brant Bjork solo project, Unida, Hermano. Also Incubus and Van Halen. Dancing to 70's disco music is, however, compulsory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?