What must be defined and what must be left to intuition?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intuition
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of intuition and its role in logic and understanding. It also mentions the search for an author who explains where to start in terms of intuition and the idea of assumed premises in arguments. The issue of infinite regress is also brought up and addressed. The conversation concludes with the idea that intuition and science can work together to understand things, and that the concept of infinite regress is not a problem until it is actually observed.
Werg22
Lately, I've been interested in logic, mainly to get answers to many questions I ask myself that I feel if left unanswered, I will never be satisfied with how I understand the way things work and are. One thing bothers me: I haven't found an author who makes a proper treatise of "where to start". I know nothing can be ever said or done if we constantly try to give definitions and meanings to things that refer to previously established definitions and meanings - one has to stop at the intuitive level. But the question is, where do we set this "intuitive level"? What words, aspects of our speech and logic should should we delegate to intuition, and which ones should we clearly define?

Physics news on Phys.org
Werg22 said:
I haven't found an author who makes a proper treatise of "where to start".

Descartes.

In which of his work? Meditations on First Philosophy?

Werg22 said:
In which of his work? Meditations on First Philosophy?

Well, yeah. That's where everything starts.

Before you can talk about an "intuitive level" you will first have to define "intuition". What do you mean by that?

(I know one person who define "intuition" as "prejudice"!)

HallsofIvy said:

Is it something else?

HallsofIvy said:

intuition : the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference

prejudice : an (adverse) opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient evidence

what is the difference?

The problem that Werg22 faces is that, to answer any question about anything, we must start with some premise(s) - and the truth of these premises in turn must be based either on some other logical/rational/coherent argument, or they must simply be assumed to be true. To avoid infinite regress, our arguments must ultimately be grounded in assumed premises - call them intuitions or prejudices if you like.

Last edited:
moving finger said:
To avoid infinite regress, our arguments must ultimately be grounded in assumed premises - call them intuitions or prejudices if you like.

Either that or they can be grounded in what is called 'self-evident' premises... which brings us back to Descartes.

moving finger said:
To avoid infinite regress, our arguments must ultimately be grounded in assumed premises - call them intuitions or prejudices if you like.

Self-refuting since it is self-referentially incoherent.

Usually an assumption holds true if it works into the system in a way that works for us, it neither assumes be to true or false 'in reality', it just works then and there.
This is usually where intuition comes in, we intuitively assume something based on what works or not, and then maybe science can figure out how it really works.
And also about infinite regress.. I don't think that's an issue, because as long as the system works, and we are able to study something, we will either find out that studying it is fruitful, or that it is not, and as such we could hit many results before infinite regress ever becomes an issue.

I guess an analogy would be that just because the lake is 10,000 meters deep, doesn't mean we can't bathe on the surface, or even dive a little bit, you see what I'm saying?
Infinite regress is only a problem when we actually see that it might be true, the concept itself before that fact is harmless.

Werg22 said:
I know nothing can be ever said or done if we constantly try to give definitions and meanings to things that refer to previously established definitions and meanings - one has to stop at the intuitive level.
False dichotemy. An axiomatic definition requires neither an appeal to intuition, nor an appeal to previously established definitions and meanings.

What must be defined when conducting scientific research?

When conducting scientific research, it is important to define the research question or hypothesis, the variables being studied, the methodology and procedures used, and the expected outcomes or results. This helps to ensure that the research is focused and can be replicated by others.

What aspects of a study can be left to intuition?

Certain aspects of a study, such as the interpretation of data and the development of new theories or ideas, may be left to intuition. However, these should be supported by evidence and logical reasoning.

How can intuition be used effectively in scientific research?

Intuition can be a valuable tool in scientific research when used in conjunction with empirical evidence and logical reasoning. It can help researchers to generate new ideas and hypotheses, and can also aid in the interpretation of complex data.

Can intuition be relied upon as a substitute for evidence and data?

No, intuition should not be relied upon as a substitute for evidence and data in scientific research. While it can be a helpful guide, it is important to support any conclusions or claims with empirical evidence and rigorous testing.

How can scientists balance the use of intuition and evidence in their research?

Scientists can balance the use of intuition and evidence by being open-minded and considering all available evidence, while also critically evaluating their own biases and assumptions. Collaborating with other researchers can also help to balance different perspectives and approaches.