Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What my desktop currently looks like

1. Aug 20, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

this is what my desktop currently looks like:

[​IMG]

as you can see, I am perfectly organized and can find anything I need in a matter of seconds :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2005 #2
    Ughh, makes me want to throw up :smile:

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  4. Aug 20, 2005 #3
    Mine, as you can see, is neatly divided into 7 sections and then ordered by importance.

Attached Files:

5. Aug 20, 2005 #4
    I wish I was working on my computer right now. All the icons are arranged in a butifull commpletlly ilgocal but streangley usful spirale.

6. Aug 20, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ack! Too much clutter! This is what a nice, neat and tidy desktop should look like.
    [​IMG]

7. Aug 20, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

how can you find your way around that desktop?

8. Aug 20, 2005 #7
    Moonbear, you're confused. You seem to have lost the ability to distinguish between "neat and tidy" and just plain "boring".

9. Aug 20, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't like clutter, and I find all those wallpaper scenery things make it hard to view what's on the screen. Trees and landscapes make it look like a kid's computer to me.

10. Aug 20, 2005 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Here is my desktop:

http://umsis.miami.edu/~dduardo/my_desktop.png

Desktop: FVWM
    Wallpaper: Mine
    Icons: None
    Resolution: 1280x1024
    # of Desktops: 4

My desktop is about simplicity and efficiency. All my files are tucked away in my home directory where they should be. I have access to all my programs with a simple left mouse click anywhere while I have access to all my active programs with a simple right mouse click anywhere.

Having multiple desktops is nice. If I have the TV in full screen mode on desktop 1 I can have Firefox in full screen mode on desktop 2. Just moving the mouse over to the edge switches desktops.

11. Aug 20, 2005 #10

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

12. Aug 20, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if Smurf thought I was boring, I can't wait until he sees your desktop! :biggrin: Hmmm...you're making me want Linux! Usually, the only thing on my desktop is my hard drive icon (which I can't make hide) and one or two files that I'm actively working on. I have more than that right now because I'm actively juggling a few projects, and just like having the documents on the desktop to remember what I'm working on. All the other related files are tucked away in folders where they belong too. It used to drive me crazy when I had to share computers with people and they'd leave stuff all over the desktop.

13. Aug 20, 2005 #12

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

GNU/Linux is customizable all the way down to the kernel. Notice how I placed the close, expand, minimize buttons on the left rather then the right. You could easily remove them completely and use mouse gestures instead of buttons. You could make the titlebar larger or smaller or have none at all. Every key is programmable and can execute whatever type of script you want. You can enable/disable desktop icons. You can choose to have expose program switching. You can choose to have a OSX dock. The options are endless.

You can't get this type of customization anywhere else. As the old saying goes: Buying proprietary software is like buying a car with the hood welded shut.

14. Aug 20, 2005 #13
    -pfft-

My desktop pwns all.

[​IMG]

I mainly use the quick launch bar thingy. When I click the arrows, I can get to my ftp, ConText, AIM, etc.

EDIT: When I work on a large school project, I may have up to 10 seperate icons of txt documents, imgs, and so on. Usually if it exceeds 10, I make seperate folders "images" and so on.

15. Aug 20, 2005 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Lol at having your class schedule on your desktop.

16. Aug 20, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

LoL at having an actual period called lunch

17. Aug 20, 2005 #16
    :rofl:

Forgot that was still there. I had that before school started because whenever I wanted to remember what classes I was taking in which order, I would forget. So I had a solution.... Time to take it off

18. Aug 20, 2005 #17
    It's like a study hall to me, so why not
    :tongue2: :biggrin:

I did in fact just copy it from my schedule though :uhh:

19. Aug 20, 2005 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My computer desktop is as cluttered as my real desktop. But I can find anything instantaneously because I remember where everything is. Clutter doesn't matter to people with photographic memories. :approve:

One of my favorite sayings is "a clean desk is a sign of a cluttered mind". :biggrin:

20. Aug 20, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My desktop and my desk are two completely different animals. Well, maybe not. I tend to keep my desk uncluttered, it's the whole rest of the office that is cluttered. :biggrin: Once I reached the stage of having my own office instead of having to share one, I could return to old habits of stacking stuff in piles on the floor. I only lose things when I clean.

21. Aug 20, 2005 #20

JamesU

Gold Member

half the programs On there I don't use/don't know they exist, or don't know what they are. It used to be organized. I like this better.

I can actually find stuff better. :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?