Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What notation is this?

1. Aug 20, 2013 #1
    I was reading a journal article from the 50s and came across some calculus notation that I do not know. Here is a link to the equation:
    http://i41.tinypic.com/s12k1t.jpg
    In equation 19, the constants A and B are shown on top of each other (same with cos[mθ] and sin[mθ]). What does this notation signify? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I've never seen that notation before, but here's my guess at what it means. Rather than writing two equations that are nearly identical, they're writing both equations. In the first equation, A is of interest, along with cos(mθ). In the second equation, B is of interest, along with sin(mθ). Again, this is just a guess on my part.

4. Aug 20, 2013 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Agrre with Mark44.

These are most likely Fourier (-like) coefficients to be computed for J_m

5. Aug 20, 2013 #4
    I have actually seen the same notation used before (Brehm & Mullin - Introduction to the Structure of Matter comes to mind, I remember finding it peculiar myself when I was reading the book), only with the curly brackets {} surrounding the "choices", and I'm almost certain it's what Mark44 said. It's just a shorthand for writing the two equations separately.

6. Aug 20, 2013 #5
    I see. Thank you guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook