1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What o' what shall I do ?

1. Aug 10, 2006 #1
    Hi I'll be freshman starting on the 21st of August, at our local univeristy. MSSU Missouri. I have not declared a major yet. IM interested in both biology and physics. I would rather major in physics, but people tell me that it is hard to find employment after your bachelors or further education compared to biology. So I was thinking about majoring in biology and take my chances , but I know I'll regret it since I love physics so much more. Please any help ?:confused:

OK enough of that , ofcourse if I go into physics , I have the first 4 years of school to learn about it and of course Im sure I will be presented various employment opportunities there will be. I still look forward to getting a higher education after receiving my Bachelors of Science(Physics). I figure by then I would at least need good employment to help my family and I to survive.

I know I can only make up my own mind , but talk me into majoring in physics(lol)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2006 #2
    Well if physics is what you really love then do physics, especially since you're saying that you'll regret it if you do biology since you love physics so much more.
  4. Aug 10, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

At least in terms of immediate employment, biology majors tend to make less than physics majors.
  5. Aug 10, 2006 #4

Median in 2004 for biologists was $68,950. Median for physicists was $87,450. Of course, there were 77,000 biologists employed in the US in and 16,000 physicists.
  6. Aug 10, 2006 #5

I know what I need to do, just asking for someone to shove me over the bridge! I think I should ignore the numbers really because then I might make a mistake and not do what I love

7. Aug 10, 2006 #6

Science Advisor

8. Aug 10, 2006 #7
    Physicists work as engineers

Many phyiscists work as engineers or programmers. There is plenty of work, especially in the defense industry. I wouldn't worry about it. If you like physics best, study physics. You are going to be most successful in the field you are most interested.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?