What or who currently scares you the most and why ?

• Thread starter BDuncan
  • Start date
In summary, the fear of timed exams and the upcoming A-level exams is the most concerning topic in the conversation. Other fears mentioned include political leaders, snakes, the American government, work, competition, violence, reckless children, loneliness, spiders, and misspelling words. The conversation also touches on the fear of terrorism and the government's role in exacerbating it.
BDuncan
What or who currently is it (as in any person/s, or any thing/s) that seriously or humorously scares the hell out of you the most and why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Now, what scares me most is the upcoming A-level exams, which will start at the end of this month. I can't predict what results I'll get, unlike the public exams that I sat for 2 years ago in which I could really predict the grades that I could be able to get. Also, time is running short and I'm afraid I can't finish revising everything before the exams come. And the challenge of having 6 hours examination in one day is scary too. 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon, the only break is the 2 hours lunch break.

Timed exams scare me the most. They make me nervous. I'm a slow guy. I eat slow, I walk slow, I talk slow...

I'm a guy that talks his time strolling slowly through life. :wink:

The person that scares me the most is any political leader of the USA.

snakes scare me real bad...
the american government is beginning to scare me...

Originally posted by Kerrie
Me too, Kerrie...on both points.

Me too, Kerrie...on both points.

Yeah, I have a bad feeling about that guy...

The three things that scare me the most are work, competition and violence, all of which contrive against the creation of a truly liberated society. What's scarier is that things seem to be getting worse in this regard.

My daughter scares me. She has no fear and feels little pain. She is always reckless, and enjoys terrifying me with her stunts. I have been aging at double-rate for the last 7 years.

Njorl

What scares me is the excessive thirst of power of some politicians
Also, its fault of scruples in some aspects
In my region, the advisor (J.L. Carod-Rovira) of our president (P. Maragall) has recently been forced to resign of his position, after was discovered that he was in secret negotiations with the terrorist group ETA. I prefer not to give the exact number of murders that ETA has performed in my country--is scary.

Wolves with bees in their mouths. So every time they bark, bees fly out. Imagine them chasing you and you will understand.

Thanx a lot Simpsons.

I know a lot of people are scared of syringes. Now with so many diseases, even more reason to be scared of them.

A number 1 fear is actually Public Speaking.

Which I hate doing.

Originally posted by Kerrie
me too, on both

i am deathly afraid of lonelyness...an spiders...and misspelling every work I write.

Anyone want to invent a pen that spell checks or shocks you when you spell a work wrong.

Pan

Originally posted by Peter Pan
i am deathly afraid of lonelyness...an spiders...and misspelling every work I write.

Anyone want to invent a pen that spell checks or shocks you when you spell a work wrong.

Pan
I like it. The Shock and Awe Error Detection Pen.

I fear not taking my medicines. I also fear aptly named "terrorism" and how my government seems to exacerbate it, especially for us here near DC.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
I fear not taking my medicines. I also fear aptly named "terrorism" and how my government seems to exacerbate it, especially for us here near DC.

I'm shopping for a new house in the DC area. I'm thinking of asking the realtor, "I'd like something convenient to downtown, but outside the 10 megaton blast radius. Oh, and can you show me some prevailing wind patterns?"

Njorl

I feared seeing the "views" (edit) on this thread holding at 222 so I changed it to 223. Whew.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a junior in high school I took 6 AP tests, which amounts to 18 hours of official testing (answering questions) and about 24 hours of actual testing (answering questions and filling out paperwork) over the course of a week and a half. They were all academic subjects, too. I was also almost drop-dead sick for the last 3 tests, too. I think I slept for about 18 hours after the last one. Yeah, tests are fun.

Afraid? I don't believe in fear.

cookiemonster

What or who currently scares you the most and why ?

1. What is your biggest fear and why?

As a scientist, my biggest fear is the potential consequences of climate change. The rapidly warming planet and its effects on the environment and human society are deeply concerning and could have devastating impacts if not addressed.

2. What scares you about the future of science and technology?

I am concerned about the ethical implications of advancements in science and technology. As we continue to push boundaries and create new innovations, it is important to consider the potential consequences and ensure that these advancements are used for the greater good.

3. Are there any specific scientific discoveries or developments that worry you?

The potential misuse and weaponization of artificial intelligence is a major concern for me. While AI has the potential to greatly benefit society, it also has the capability to be used for harm and destruction.

4. How do you cope with the fears and uncertainties in your field of study?

As a scientist, I rely on evidence and data to guide my understanding and decision-making. This helps to alleviate fears and uncertainties as I am able to base my beliefs and actions on solid research and evidence.

5. How can we as a society address and overcome these fears?

It is important for individuals, communities, and governments to prioritize education and awareness about these fears and their potential consequences. By understanding the issues at hand, we can work towards finding solutions and taking action to mitigate these fears.