What OS and Browser Do You Use? An Introduction to My Computing Setup

• Thread starter amalgamx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi Os
In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of different operating systems, with some users using Windows XP, Vista, and 7, while others prefer Linux and Mac. The conversation also touched on browser usage, with Firefox being a popular choice among both Windows and Linux users. Some users also mentioned using Chrome and Safari, with one user noting that Chrome had less overhead and allowed them to stay logged into PF's FlashChat. Overall, the conversation gave insight into the various preferences and experiences of the users with different operating systems and browsers.

What OS do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
amalgamx
Well, I couldn't find an "Introduce Yourself" thread anywhere and I've made two posts on here out of the blue now so I figure some sort of introduction is in order. Hello, nice forum you have going on here.

So which OS (Operating system) do you use? I'm currently using Windows XP and plan on installing some sort of KDE based Linux distro soon. :)

Computer science news on Phys.org
XP. It is stable and it works well on my old(er) Dell Dimension 8400. I can't afford to stay on the bleeding edge with hardware, and my astronomical research is throttled by my ADSL connection and the speed of the servers maintained by NASA, Universities, and foreign entities, anyway. Hitching a faster PC to this 1.5M connection won't make things run any faster.

Vista, and I hate it, I think XP is much better. anyhow welcome to PF amalgamx :smile:

Using linux and xp on a desktop PC. I'm currently exploring the unix based pc-bsd Galileo edition. For some reason it's less known, but it has great potential to compete with ubuntu.

Currently running Vista Ultimate SP2 x32 on my desktop and Windows 7 Ultimate RC x64/Ubuntu x64 on my laptop. Of the three OSs, I find myself using Windows 7 RC the most; it is faster than Vista at basic tasks, has more useful system tools, and supports more of my favourite software and hardware natively and effortlessly compared to Ubuntu.

Let me speed this up for you. Last month. :smile:

Windows
1,733,683 84.82%
Macintosh
205,020 10.03%
Linux
76,509 3.74%
iPhone
11,989 0.59%
(not set)
5,697 0.28%
iPod
4,889 0.24%
Android
1,211 0.06%
SymbianOS
911 0.04%
BlackBerry
894 0.04%
Danger Hiptop
680 0.03%

Are those stats from the PF server logs? If so, how do you access PF on an iPod?

jtbell said:
Are those stats from the PF server logs? If so, how do you access PF on an iPod?

With Ipod touch, which is basically an ipod that looks the same as iphone, but doesn't have the phone part.

Interesting stats, looks like mac, and linux still has long way to go.

Aha, I just looked in my own server log and found browser identification strings like this one:

iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us

Currently dual booting my laptop with Vista Home Premium and Ubuntu. Desktop computer (which is 6+ years old) is currently running Fedora 11.

waht said:
Interesting stats, looks like mac, and linux still has long way to go.

What is interesting is that FF and IE are near tied. Safari and Chrome are a distant third and fourth.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What is interesting is that FF and IE are near tied. Safari and Chrome are a distant third and fourth.

I was going to ask you that next. Firefox is having a nice run, indeed. I'm sure all the linux users have FF, so that's 10%. That means that 30% of windows users have FF installed, which is right in the ballpark.

waht said:
I was going to ask you that next. Firefox is having a nice run, indeed. I'm sure all the linux users have FF, so that's 10%. That means that 30% of windows users have FF installed, which is right in the ballpark.
I use FF instead of IE, but I got into the habit of running Chrome when I found out that I didn't get kicked out of PF's FlashChat using that browser. Chrome is pretty trim, with modest overhead.

1. What operating system do you use?

I use Windows 10 as my main operating system for my research and experiments.

2. Why do you use Windows instead of Mac or Linux?

As a scientist, I need access to a wide range of software and tools that are only compatible with Windows. It also allows me to easily collaborate and share my work with other scientists using the same operating system.

3. Do you have any experience with other operating systems?

Yes, I have used Mac and Linux in the past for specific projects, but I find that Windows meets my needs and preferences the best overall.

4. What advantages does Windows have for scientific research?

Windows has a large user base and extensive support, making it easier to find and troubleshoot any issues with software or hardware. It also has a wide variety of software and tools specifically designed for scientific research.

5. Hi, I'm new to using computers for research. Is Windows easy to learn and use?

Yes, Windows has a user-friendly interface and many helpful features, making it easy for beginners to navigate and use for their research. There are also many online resources and tutorials available for further assistance.