1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What other configuration could the molecule adopt that would lower its LJ energy

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i) Write down an expression for the LJ cohesive energy of a molecule consisting of four atoms lying on the corners of a square of side a.
    ii) Deduce the equilibrium value of the nearest-neighbour separation, a, assuming the molecule retains its square shape
    iii) What other configuration could the molecule adopt that would lower its LJ energy further?

Relevant equation:

U[itex]_{tot}[/itex]=2N[itex]\epsilon[/itex][A[itex]_{12}[/itex]([itex]\frac{σ}{a}[/itex])[itex]^{12}[/itex]-A[itex]_{6}[/itex]([itex]\frac{σ}{a}[/itex][itex])^{6}[/itex]]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have done parts i) and ii). It is part iii) that I am stuck on. Because bcc, hcp and fcc all have higher N, number of atoms per unit cell, and higher values of A[itex]_{12}[/itex], making the cohesive energy higher - this is the case, isn't it? So what other configuration could the molecule adopt?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2
    Re: What other configuration could the molecule adopt that would lower its LJ energy.

yes and no. you have to realise that U is a potential energy and therefore negative in nature. you have to do work to remove these molecules from their square setup into something else. in a simple cubic structure ( 2 sets of these squares make a simple cubic of 8 atoms), the cohesive energy between the molecules is stronger, and so the the potential U is more negative at the equilibrium position, making these bonds more stable.so yes N increases, and maybe even A12, A6 increase, but U is inherently negative making the cohesive energies stronger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook