What Physicist 'Said' This?

• Thread starter KYPOWERLIFTER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, the conversation discussed a quote about science being either physics or checkers, which was paraphrased from a quote by physicist Ernest Rutherford. The conversation also mentioned a similar quote by Plato about mathematics. The person asking for clarification on the quote and its origin realized that their memory was not as accurate as they thought.
KYPOWERLIFTER
Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, I recollect something that was quoted as either uttered or written by a physicist. It went something along the lines of ". . . when it come to science, it's either physics or checkers." I have paraphrased it. It believe that it was a British gentleman of the early 20th century.

Would someone out there fill me in as to the quote and the person who gave it voice?

Physics news on Phys.org
"All science is either physics or stamp collecting" - Ernest Rutherford

Not what you are looking for, but the only "checkers" quote I know

"Mathematics is like checkers in being suitable for the young, not too difficult, amusing, and without peril to the state. " - Plato

Damn!

Thank you. It appears those recesses are darker than I thought.

1. What does it mean when a physicist "said" something?

When a physicist "said" something, it means that they made a statement or shared their ideas about a particular topic related to physics. This could be through a published paper, a lecture, or an interview.

2. Can I trust what a physicist has "said"?

As a scientist, it is important to critically evaluate the evidence and arguments presented by any source, including physicists. While they are experts in their field, it is always important to consider multiple perspectives and conduct your own research to form your own informed opinions.

3. How do I know if a physicist really "said" something?

It is important to check the original source of the statement to verify if a physicist truly "said" it. This could be through a reputable news source, a published paper, or a video recording of a lecture or interview. Avoid relying on secondhand information or unreliable sources.

4. What is the significance of a physicist's "said" statement?

A physicist's "said" statement can hold significant weight in the scientific community, as it reflects their expertise and knowledge in a particular area of physics. It can also spark further research and discussions within the scientific community.

5. Can a physicist's "said" statement be proven wrong?

Yes, a physicist's "said" statement can be proven wrong if it is based on incorrect or incomplete information, or if new evidence emerges that contradicts it. This is why the scientific method involves constant testing and revision of theories and ideas.