Solving Problems with Physics: What Branches Are Needed?

• Studying
  • Thread starter ricky33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the necessary physics and math knowledge to solve the problem depends on the problem itself and the level of the question. Basic thermodynamics or statistical physics may be required, and in some cases, knowledge of quantum mechanics may also be necessary. The second law of thermodynamics may be a problem when it comes to entropy, but this can be solved by completing various levels of education. These tools can be found in the recollections of an elderly gentleman, who coincidentally wrote them down just today.
ricky33
Whats the physics and maybe math knowledge I need to solve this problem ? Do I need classical physics , thermodynamics ? What else ? What's the physics branches and sub branches I need to know before I can solve this problem ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything you need is in the recollections of an elderly gentleman. Coincidentally he wrote them down just today.

It depends on the problem. Most probably thermodynamics or statistical physics (I would classify classical thermodynamics as a subset of stat. phys.). Maybe quantum mechanics, depending on the system.

The level of the question is also important. Basic thermo or stat. phys. deal mostly with equilibrium. In some cases, non-equilibrium thermo or stat. phys. is necessary.

DrClaude said:
It depends on the problem. Most probably thermodynamics or statistical physics (I would classify classical thermodynamics as a subset of stat. phys.). Maybe quantum mechanics, depending on the system.

The level of the question is also important. Basic thermo or stat. phys. deal mostly with equilibrium. In some cases, non-equilibrium thermo or stat. phys. is necessary.
The problem is that the second law of thermodynamics is the only law in physics that don't fit well with entropy . Search it , the problem is one and famous .

Krylov said:
Everything you need is in the recollections of an elderly gentleman. Coincidentally he wrote them down just today.
That's not my question . I am asking about the problem that the 2nd law is the only law that doesn't fit with entropy . Your answear was about how to calculate the entropy of a system

Ricky, the 2nd law certainly does fit with entropy.

What you need to do is to finish 11th grade, finish high school, finish college and finish grad school and then you will have started to have collected the tools you need to solve these kinds of problems.

Likes billy_joule, Nugatory, Doc Al and 2 others

1. What is the main purpose of using physics to solve problems?

The main purpose of using physics to solve problems is to understand and explain the natural world through mathematical models and experiments. This allows us to make predictions and find solutions to complex problems in various fields.

2. Which branches of physics are typically used to solve problems?

The main branches of physics used to solve problems are mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. These branches cover a wide range of phenomena and can be applied to many real-world situations.

3. How does physics help in problem-solving?

Physics helps in problem-solving by providing a systematic and analytical approach to understanding and solving problems. It also allows us to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and use mathematical equations and principles to find solutions.

4. Can physics be used to solve problems in everyday life?

Yes, physics can be used to solve problems in everyday life, such as calculating the speed and distance of a car, understanding the behavior of electricity in our homes, or predicting the trajectory of a basketball shot. Many technological advancements and inventions also stem from the application of physics in everyday situations.

5. What skills are needed to effectively solve problems with physics?

To effectively solve problems with physics, one needs to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and principles, critical thinking skills, and the ability to apply theoretical knowledge to real-world situations. Good observation and experimentation skills are also essential in problem-solving with physics.