What piano piece should I learn

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piano
In summary, the book the pianist owns has many songs that are too difficult for them at this point in their development, and they should instead try some of the easier pieces from the Easy Piano Classics book.
ehrenfest
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/pages...usic/detail/MS.AM66895.html&t=&k=&r=wwws-err5

School's out, so I finally have time to learn some piano pieces.

You can see the contents of the book I own above.

I have been playing for about a year. I would say I am at an intermediate level. I can play Fur Elise pretty well. I like classical music ONLY. I have to learn all by myself so don't give me something too difficult. Give me at least 2 or 3 suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fantasie Impromptu by Frederic Chopin
but its fairly advanced, but one of my favourites.
And though its not in that book I like
Clare de Lune by Debussy

But more realistically some classics are
The Entertainer
Mapleleaf Rag

And Chopin Etude 25 no9

I agree with all of the ideas K. J. Healey mentioned (except I will have to look up Chopin Etude 25... it isn't coming to me at the moment, and I don't want to plug in my flash drive right at the moment - its probably on there though!) Chopin may be a stretch for your level. Moonlight Sonata. The 2nd part of Moonlight Sonata is very short, but nice and simple. The 3rd movement is a challenge though, I love playing that song. If the Music Box is the same one I am thinking, it was a nice melody when I was a kid (but not as fun as The Entertainer or Mapleleaf Rag). Many of the names on the list are so very familiar, but I would have to listen to them to remember which one they are, and the difficulty level. I think many of the songs in my Mozart book are simple, but I am not a huge Mozart fan so I have not played most of them...

I just may have to buy myself that book, it has a great selection!

Ooh, I just re read the list and I had missed one of my favorites! Malaguena. Not sure if the song in the book is the same as the one I have, but I STILL enjoy playing that song after all these years. If it is the same version as what I play, it may be too difficult for you right now, but I love that song.

How about one of the nice Yann Tiersen ones from the Amelie OST? Moulin is nice.

Stay within your reach

It's great that you are an aspiring self taught classical pianist! I started out the same way myself, until I reached a point where I needed a teacher to help me progress to where I wanted to be.

Jumping from Fur Elise to Fantasie Impromptu, any Chopin Etude, or even Claire de Lune is insane... that's like trying to run a marathon after just learning to walk. Those pieces should wait for several more years of serious study before you attempt them. Although you could possibly manage the notes, it's what's between the notes and bringing out the music that makes them so hard, technical difficulties aside.

Perhaps try these for some equally great musical pieces that will help you grow your technique and would allow you to play a more convincing performance:

Traumerie - Schumann
Moment Musical op 90 #3 - Schubert
2nd movement Pathetique - Beethoven
Bach - any of the 2 part inventions, prelude in C major book 1 of WTK
Solffeggietto - CPE Bach
Chopin - prelude #4 (this is very nice) prelude # 6, #7, #15 (Raindrop), #20

You can find the sheet music to any of these at SheetmusicArchive.net for free

wzm4114 said:
Jumping from Fur Elise to Fantasie Impromptu, any Chopin Etude, or even Claire de Lune is insane...

I was thinking about that on my commute home last night, they are rather difficult compared to Fur Elise. (But I still agree with The Entertainer and Mapleleaf Rag - those are both very good although not in your book) The only song I can remember from my youth unfortunately also isn't in your book, but if you can buy the sheet music it is very nice. I still remember the melody after 35 years, so it made quite the impression on me. Most of my early pieces I don't remember at all. http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/pages...c/detail/MS.BMC-10910.html&t=&k=&r=wwws-err5"

My other suggestion is it appears the book you have may be a higher level, so I would suggest going to your own link you provided in OP, click on the link for the Easy Piano Classics (in the right hand collumn) and see what songs are in both books. I did a quick scan and it appears there are a few. If my memory serves right (I looked a few hours ago... :confused:) "Four Pieces From The Little Notebook (Bach)" is one that was in both books.

And side note - Thank you to wzm for providing the link. Now I don't have to go buy that Rachmaninov book. :wink:

I vote for Moonlight Sonata. My cousin took up piano as an adult, and one of the first pieces he mastered was Moonlight Sonata. It sounded wonderful on his Yamaha baby grand. When he had his house built he chose to have a front room with an open cathedral ceiling - it made a wonderful music room. He turned out to be a pretty good pianist, and could probably sound good on an ancient upright in a church basement.:biggrin:

Ms Music said:
they are rather difficult compared to Fur Elise.

They are VERY difficult compared to Fur Elise. Debussy's Clair de Lune is an extremely complex piece and any "normal" person (=not a musical genius) would need to play the piano for years before being able to play it well (I played the piano for over 7 years and it was still too difficult).

The Etude is also difficult. If you want to play Chopin I would recommend trying some of his walzes, some of them are relatively easy. There are also a few Nocturnes that might be worth trying, e.g. Opus 9 no 2 ; still challenging but not as complicated as most of his music (and it sound good even if you can't play tempo rubato) .

Pavane pour une infante defunte

This is a wonderful piece by Ravel, and for the most part not that difficult. (I used to play it.)

Math Is Hard said:
This is a wonderful piece by Ravel, and for the most part not that difficult. (I used to play it.)
Oooh! Dead babies rule!

Bach, Prelude and Fugue (Book1, no.2)
http://www.magnatune.com/artists/albums/dbp-wtc1a/
Here's what it could sound like. This guy is playing it really fast, so don't freak out. You can make it sound great at half this speed.

My general rule for playing the piano:
"Life is too short to play anything other than Bach."

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I vote for Moonlight Sonata. My cousin took up piano as an adult, and one of the first pieces he mastered was Moonlight Sonata. It sounded wonderful on his Yamaha baby grand. When he had his house built he chose to have a front room with an open cathedral ceiling - it made a wonderful music room. He turned out to be a pretty good pianist, and could probably sound good on an ancient upright in a church basement.:biggrin:

Me, too! Moonlight Sonata!

OK. Thanks for your input everyone.

I will take on Malaguena by Albeniz and Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven.

Actually, Moonlight Sonata sounds really creepy to me in the YouTube videos so I think I will replace that with Bach's Minuet in G Minor. I will post back here when I finish and ask for more suggestions. Last time a learned a new song, I just learned the first song in my book without even listening to it beforehand. Thanks for giving me these YouTube links--those are extremely helpful.

Last edited:

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a piano piece to learn?

When choosing a piano piece to learn, it is important to consider your skill level, personal preferences, and practice time available. You should also consider the difficulty level of the piece and whether it will challenge you in areas such as technique or musicality.

2. How do I know if a piano piece is too difficult for me to learn?

If you are struggling to play the piece even after practicing consistently, it may be too difficult for your current skill level. You can also consider consulting with a piano teacher for their professional opinion.

3. Is it better to learn a popular or lesser-known piano piece?

The decision to learn a popular or lesser-known piece ultimately depends on your personal goals and preferences. If you are looking to challenge yourself and improve your skills, a lesser-known piece may offer a unique learning experience. However, learning a popular piece can also be beneficial as it may be more familiar and enjoyable to play.

4. How long does it typically take to learn a piano piece?

The time it takes to learn a piano piece varies greatly depending on the difficulty level of the piece, your skill level, and the amount of practice time you have available. Some pieces may take weeks or months to learn, while others may take longer.

5. Can I learn a piano piece without a teacher?

While it is possible to learn a piano piece without a teacher, having a teacher can greatly benefit your progress. A teacher can provide guidance, feedback, and help you improve your technique. However, there are also many resources available online that can assist you in learning a piece without a teacher.